Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this in 1996, would love help identifying

Hi folks,

New here and I have been entranced looking at many of your incredible finds! I found this "rock" as a child back in '96. I showed my dad, he said it was probably nothing more than natural formation. The following year, an older gentleman at a flea market was selling a lot of local Native American artifacts. I thought I should bring it to him the next day to see if he had any ideas on it. Next day I showed him the "rock" and he wasn't sure. He could tell I was let down by his reply, it's like every kids dream to find an arrowhead! What he did say was, no matter what, keep it stored someplace safe (kept it in a small jewelry box). So here I am, 22 years later and just curious. I've pretty much resigned to the fact it's nothing but a natural formation, and that is ok, the rock is still special to me.

This is the interesting part. I found this rock in a dune on 'First Encounter' beach in Eastham, Massachusetts. For those unaware, that site was where the Pilgrims first encountered the local Nauset people along with a volley of arrows. A full skirmish ensued, ending with the party of Pilgrims leaving. Apparently no one from either side died.

Hey Tik welcome from Connecticut... I am having trouble seeing any "worked" edges with flaking ..but a special rock indeed...it is shaped like a point though . Cool story
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome Aboard Tik and what an intro. I agree with Red about the piece being worked. However, you only showed one side - so flip that dude over and lets look at the reverse side. I'm thinking that piece looks very much like granite but y'all know your native material better than I. Glad to have you with us and based on your story, you should be able to find NA artifacts throughout that area. Keep hunting and posting.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Tik, it could be a tip that broke off a point but we do need to see the other side and maybe a side view. Welcome in!!!
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

That looks to be a piece of Marblehead Rhyolite... tough to be sure with just one pic. I don’t believe it’s a point however,it looks like a flake that was popped off when making a tool or point. You may be mistaking the broken edges for work, I would have put it in the pocket too, for closer scrutiny later. I used to vacation in Eastham every year like 2 miles from First Encounter, and I know points have been found there. The material is right, it just doesn’t have the work or the shspe, in my opinion.

Comment

I’m afraid it looks natural to me as well. At least from this view
            South Dakota

Comment

It’s probably a memory thing with your dad...Things set a person to remember good or bad things.. I’m thinking it must of been a good memory.. Hold on tight to it... JJ
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Sorry, I did take a picture from the back, it was apparently too large (over 2 mb) to post. I snipped it down a bit. Thank you all for the replies!
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X