Unique rock or artifact??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique rock or artifact??

My lovely bride to be found this unique rock on the beach in Florence, Oregon in Lane county. Any ideas of what it could be, or is it just a rock that has been uniquely eroded by a current or fall perhaps?
    Any input is appreciated.

I’d say rock but that hole looks perfect maybe there was a root at one time that rotted away and left the hole?
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• emartin1775
      emartin1775 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input.

Let’s see what others say
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Congrats on your engagement ! The hole in the stone is really round like it could be a artifact. However , nature makes such holes in stones also. JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

That’s what I was thinking as well. The thing that makes me slant towards the artifact side though is the half circle notch next to the round hole.
        Thanks for the input. I really do appreciate it.

Comment

That's a cool rock... A keeper
          SW Connecticut

Comment

That’s a tough call on the hole in your rock. I would say natural but probably still used by natives as it’s alreasy perfect for a net weight. Here is one from around Portland OR that is pretty typical and what the ho,e should look like if pecked out.

Comment

That’s great. Thank you.

Comment

I agree that its a work of Mother Natures art particularly being found on a beach but who's to say that it was never used for a weight. If I was a NA in need of a weight I sure would use it. Its probably been in that shape for quite some time. Neat beach find there...
                The chase is better than the catch...
                I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

That is a great way to look at it. Thanks so much for the input.

Comment

Working...
                  X