Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	347600 Click image for larger version

Name:	82CD261A-9A71-465E-86C3-07B82DACD77A.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	347599
    Hello All,
    This might be a dumb question but...
    I have found several rocks with tiny rocks attached to one side. I was wondering what this is and why it happens.
    Hempstead Texas.

The first and third (same rock?) looks like it could be a hammer stone. Not sure on the other one. In what context were these found? Some rocks are called conglomerates. Made up of a matrix of rocks that have over time and under extreme pressure, become solid enough to be a "rock" themselves. It's actually one of my favorite types of lithics. There are several different recognized types. Tussculusa Gravel Chert is one that comes to mind. I have a nice example of a Greenbrier made from TGC and a few examples of scrapers made from a moastly black matrix conglomerate. I would be happy to post pictures of these here (or on a separate post) if you would like. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

🍻
    cheers,
    Bill
    northeast MS

Comment

The little rocks are small pebbles that are “glued” on with caliche or some other type of calcium salt. It’s usually a sign that the rocks were in a wet environment where water dissolved minerals were deposited when the water evaporated.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

BillSmith,
        Yes, same Rock. It’s the front and back. It cleaned up very good. definitely a keeper.
        As for your pictures, I would love to see them. Please post em.
        Thanks

Comment

Hey clovisoid,
          That makes sense . I found them close to a stream in my woods.
          Thats great info.
          thanks

Comment

That's s nice rock ..I woulda kept that red Rock for sure
            SW Connecticut

Comment

ADD, clovisoid has given you the right answer about your rocks. As was said, I too would have kept them. Guess I was somewhat rambling. I promise I wasn't stoned! Hahaha. I think it would be best to make a different post about conglomerates. Congrats on the finds and thanks for showing them! Being near a stream, the NAs undoubtedly were close by. I wish you good fortune on your future hunts.

🍻
              cheers,
              Bill
              northeast MS

Comment

Working...
              X