Scraping tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraping tool?

I guy I know says he thinks it’s a scrapper. What do y’all think? Found in north Alabama.

I'd call it a flake knife but that doesn't mean it didn't do some scraping as well. Looks like it was removed from the core using the blade core method, which is cool in its own right. Keep searching that site, there is a good chance you'll turn up more nice pieces. Welcome to the forum, we hope you stick around!
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut ... I like Broken Arrow's input ..more like a knife ..Nice find
      SW Connecticut

Comment

That’s is awesome to know! Thanks for the response.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome. By the way, that is a cool find and I'd have been excited to find it. Blade core technology was used through many temporal periods but it is associated with the paleo period in many instances so, there is a chance that you may find some very old pieces on or near the site where you found this. Are you new to hunting? We'd like to see your other finds.

I am new to it. I see that there is a lot to learn. It’s an amazing study. This is another I found. I found them both in 10 minutes. There is flint everywhere at this spot. I plan on going back soon.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice. Yes, get back to that spot soon and hit it as often as you can. Everyday of possible, lol. I pick up every piece of flint and lithic debris that I come across. I keep the flakes and debitage site seperated in big ziploc bags.

That blade is very nice many times they are snapped in half so be careful with it. The point is nice to maybe take some pics of them in the sunlight so we can get a better view. Take a pic of them flakes in your spot to so we can see how big they are. You can learn a lot from flakes like the material and by the size of them. I bet the larger flakes have work on them and used for scrapers.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree

I will take more pictures this afternoon. I would love to know the material or anything else you could tell me about it.

Unrelated to this, I found this marker tree a few weeks ago at a different location than the above. Thought y’all might enjoy.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          The marker tree is a myth unless that tree is 8000 yrs old

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          That's debatable. It wouldn't have to be that old to be a marker tree. There are instances of spoken lore that claim marker trees did/do exist and were used by the NA. There just really isn't enough evidence to prove or disprove the idea.

Oh a marker tree there ya go Buddie .
        I am going with BA . Flake tool technology is or can be a very old . Look that up just so you know what you have . Like Surfacehunter said look at the flakes closely to see if they have secondary flaking
        You are on a very very interesting site there . Can’t wait to see what comes out of there.

Comment

Working...
        X