Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmmm...Pointy

Hi,
    I am posting from the east of England..I found Mr.Pointy here on a beach recently with a group of other likely suspects. Its tabular flint, stained very black on side, manganese I think rather than iron oxides. My questions...is this a flat butted/ficron handaxe, and do these look like levallois cores?

WONDERFUL FLINT imhop yes it looks like a handaxe and those two round pieces look like specialized scrapers not cores
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

I agree with Tom. Thanks for sharing with us....
      Rhode Island

Comment

Wonderful artifacts! Do you think they are of Neanderthal people ? There are two other people that come in from time to time from United Kingdom ..... JJ
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Thank you for that , I have a number of finds that seem to show, perhaps, some kind of centripetal reduction. I admit that I cannot readily distinguish this type of material and would ask for more help in identification. The local geology here is hideously complicated and arguments are ongoing as to the exact age of certain levels. However, based on what I have gleaned from a local expert, and my own investigations, I believe I know from whence it came, and how old. I believe it is neandertal, as there was no-one else around at this time.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Outstanding ! Find more to display ! Reaching greater antiquity in artifacts than anything in the Americas... TY

Here are some other candidates.The one next to Mr.Pointy is of a very similar size and shape, on tabular again.The one with iron oxide staining appears made on a flake. The largest may have a tranchet removal? There is perhaps a larger example of circular scraoer? Perhaps a transverse scraper as well?

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I can’t visiualize the brute or the humanoid in use !

Comment

I can’t inagind what those people had to do to survive and it shows in their artifacts to me .
            Wonderful share .

Comment

• MagpieInTheSky
              MagpieInTheSky commented
              Editing a comment
              That reminds me...I read an article the other day about the discovery of the remains of a family of 12 Neandertals. It turns out they were slaughtered ,then eaten raw. That is just rude. Where are the manners?

In terms of antiquity I have a couple of flakes that are up there with the oldest in this country.... I lived for some years within sight of the famous Happisburgh beach, where artefacts c800k, possibly older were found. I worked that beach between tides through many winters.I was eventually rewarded with 2 pristine flakes from a secure stratified level. It was an awful lot of looking for very little flint but they are special and hard earned.I will post pics at some point.

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures! Really enjoy seeing much older artifacts and learning about them.

Comment

This is taking cool to a whole other level. Thanks for sharing.πŸ‘πŸ‘
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Wow, thanks! I' m really stoked that you like them. I've not shown my finds to anyone before.

Comment

Working...
                  X