Found on Sugar creek ARK and MO boarder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found on Sugar creek ARK and MO boarder

I have been looking in creeks and cut banks around Bella Vista with no luck. Today was very cold and on the MO border I found this group of about 7 eggs. I thought they were maybe goose eggs that had washed down stream. But after breaking one open it had like a fiber and some seeds. Maybe someone here knows what it is.

Any pics of the inside? Possibly pawpaw?? I feel like those may have rotted by now though..
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I thought too when I first found one while trying to discover Pawpaw's.

I thought I did take a pic of the one I crushed. But I must not have. I took two of them. Washed them up and they look a lot like eggs but the one I did crush had seeds in it with a lot of stringy stuff. You can shake them and hear it rattle inside. Thick shell about 1/16 inch. They did not seem to be from any plant life around them.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by edteach; 02-07-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I don't know what They are called, but I have seen Them also I believe. Is that stuff inside like Cotton? They come off of Vines or small Tree's I think.
      Last edited by JoshinMO; 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't place the name either but I know what you are talking about.

They are alien eggs cover your face ! All this zombie apocalyptic downturn starts right there..
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

They are a type of gourd. We used to call them maypops when we were kids because they were green and soft-ish, and if you stomped them they would “pop”. They hardened as the season got late and became seed pods.
        Last edited by Jethro355; 02-07-2019, 09:04 PM.
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          Jethro for the win! Good call man

Thanks for the Gourd idea that helped me find what they are. Ozark nest egg gourd

Birds Nest Gourds or Egg Gourds are a fun and easy annual vine to grow. Each gourd plant will produce loads of small egg shaped gourds. The small gourds measure approximately 2 1/2 inches in length. Gourd vines need plenty of room to ramble or a trellis to climb. Gourds will grow best in full sun.Dried gourds are great

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for posting that. Brought back memories. My Gramma used to get them and use them for that, she’d leave one in a nest for the laying hens as a nest egg.
      Working...
      X