surface find, what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surface find, what is it?

Hi, new member migrating from Arrowheadology...

Just came across this surface find in the Lower Columbia River area:

You can see the rough dimensions in comparison to my fingers. Thickness measures approx 0.25" across the center. Blunt end is towards the bottom in the photo; all other sides show rough biface flaking.

It's definitely a worked peice, but I can't make out it's intended purpose. Looks big for typical scraper from this area, but perhaps a bit too small for a preform?

Any ideas as to function, and possible material ID?

thanks
    Thirtycal

Welcome, glad you poked your head in here...good folks over at Aology......scrapers are typically unifacial in my experience...that is definitely a worked piece and worked on both sides like you stated...hard to say what it’s intended use was....and I certainly won’t take a stab at lithics not being from your area and not familiar....again, welcome!
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

Welcome, glad you have joined us.
      That isn't broken? If broken I'd lean towards preform.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome , I have several scrappers exactly that size but they are unifacial. Oddly all snapped in half .
        Now I have found quartz and quartzite spalls but more in a ball form that have been worked down to approx that size that show some pressure flaking and wear areas .
        With what I find similar to that I would say a type of tool/ scrapper especially if the tip shows any wear on it . Hard to see from a top angle .
        Looking at a piece now that’s like that and always wonder if it’s a broken knife or the base of a point that’s bifacial

Comment

Are you sure it’s not a beat up base to a knife? Try turning it around and imagine if the tip end was still there
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I think your right also

I think your right Jay

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
            OnewiththewilD commented
            Editing a comment
            You called it first!

Who’s on first

Comment

I remember Ron Kelly posted that with laurel and Hardy ?
            on a conversation call ..

Comment

The second pic shows a lot of stepping. It IMO discarded do to that.
              By the way welcome to ah.com and it is sad about aology there were some great members there.
              some I see a few members over at tnet
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
              X