What did I find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I find

Found this today on a gravel bar in the middle of the Colorado river in Texas. It’s 3 inches long, has a hole on one side and is really smooth.

Is it stone?
    NW Georgia,

Comment

The inside bottom of the drill hole looks machine manufactured a little.

Whats the material?

Is there drill marks?

Comment

Completely smooth and it’s really kinda hard to explain the material. It looks like rubber, feels like a rock but splinters like wood. Found t along side three points.

Comment

Looks like a old plastic to me by the crazing
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Comment

That little nipple inside the hole suggests some type of injection molding process.
              Last edited by NJ; 02-22-2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Maybe try holding it few inches from a lighter flame and see if it starts to smoke or bubble a bit.. I’ve found a few pieces of old plastic that have had me thinking I had something else .

Comment

So I put the lighter to it and it smells like leather. No bubble or melting

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                    SurfaceHunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A heated stick pin is a better test if needle goes in then it’s plastic

I'll guess it's part of an old molded knife / utensil handle, similar to this..

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post
                    I'll guess it's part of an old molded knife / utensil handle, similar to this..

Good find!

Thats exactly what the little tip is inside the hole.

Its where the blade or whatever was held in place.

Comment

Okay So I guess you have to see it in person and hold to realize that is deff from another time. So I did some research and I came up with a bead, and the one hole not completely through is because it was a pendulum.

https://www.penn.museum/sites/expedi...ssippi-valley/

Comment

That’s not a bead, and not a NA artifact from what I can see. That hole is modern made in my opinion
                        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

It can’t be plastic or it would’ve melted, this pic is after 1min of direct flame. It might be extraterrestrial material. Idk what it is, but I’m going to tell everybody it’s an artifact it they ask! Lol

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                            Broken Arrow commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It would not have melted if it is bakelite or one of the other early synthetic plastics. I have seen bakelite be put directly into a fire and come out unscathed. I'm not saying that it is bakelite but I do think it is a synthetic plastic. You'd be surprised how resilient some of those materials can be.
                            Last edited by Broken Arrow; 02-23-2019, 11:23 AM.

• SurfaceHunter
                            SurfaceHunter commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That’s the word I was looking for bake a like. BRoken Arrow nailed it

Nice link. What you are looking at in those pictures is pipestone, originates out of Southwestern Minnesota. Not the same material. Interesting find none the less.
                          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                          X