Crystal quartz typology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crystal quartz typology

This was a Massachusetts find originally. .I found it in my mail box! Any idea on typology?

Looks like a LeCroy point not sure they are in your area,
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Looks like a worn Lecroy to me.

Von

Comment

That's cool .. MacCorkle possibly.
        SW Connecticut

Comment

I don't know the type but I love how its acting like a prism with the light in that photo.

Comment

A type of bifurcate possibly?
            Last edited by Emaner377; 03-13-2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Maybe try a pic laying down on a black surface so we can see it better
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Comment

It looks like what's left of a bifurcate that's basically beat to hell, but made of a nice material. Who doesn't like crystalline quartz? At any rate, some of the bifurcates found in southern New England include Susquehanna Valley bifurcate, MacCorkle, Nottoway River, Lecroy, and our local variety, the Taunton River bifurcate, which is most common in the Taunton River basin, but found throughout our region as well.

Here's how Boudreau puts it in his New England typology: "Regional bifurcate base points appear in a number of styles. Some resemble recognized types from outside of the region. Variations within these types tend to overlap. As a result, it is difficult to say, with any degree of certainty, what type a particular point may be. There are, however, a number of general differences, demonstrated above(note: Boudreau illustrates all of the types I listed above). Yet, there are numerous forms which do not fit comfortably in any of the above groups."

So, our members have mentioned a couple of possibilities, but I would not get too hung up on particulars. It looks like a bifurcate that has seen better days. Perhaps Lecroy fits best, but you could just settle for bifurcate base. Usually considered a marker for Early Archaic in our region, but they may extend into the Middle Archaic here in New England.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys..Charlie as always you're a wealth of information looking forward to showing you and Jay some of this collection in person

Comment

I'll post a few more pieces on this thread if not too redundant? This one again same collection
                      I'd say a little better condition than the other one
                      bifurcate base obviously but typology? Not going to get too hung up on that like Charlie mentioned

Comment

I don’t know a thing about crystal. It’s beautiful though. I guess that one lithic material not found here or I’ve not found any .
                        The most exotic point I’ve seen Mikey ( Hunting Buddy ) found. It was made of moss agate ! It was Almost clear with tiny well defined moss in it . The find did hurt my feelers !
                        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Definitely my favorite stuff too virtually impossible to find here as well..and then if you purchase points getting real ones is the next challenge

Comment

These two are pretty cool too bad about just being the base..enough material here to restore? Would it be worth while?

Comment

Originally posted by Emaner377 View Post
                              I'll post a few more pieces on this thread if not too redundant? This one again same collection
                              I'd say a little better condition than the other one
                              bifurcate base obviously but typology? Not going to get too hung up on that like Charlie mentioned
                              No, you can get hung up, lol. I said that earlier because I have very little experience separating types where bifurcates are concerned. But Jeff Boudreau just went with the general name "bifurcate base", which has always been the norm here in New England. Nobody ever attempted to use specific type names here. William Taylor, a collector from Ma, was the first to describe Taunton River bifurcate as a distinct type. Yes, Jeff showed examples he considered "Lecroy", etc., but he used the general heading "Bifurcate Base" on his pages describing this type. Taunton River bifurcate is not too hard to recognize, but I've never known area collectors to call any of them anything other then "bifurcate". But, somebody from outside our region might offer a specific name for you, which is cool. And yes, I do think you need to be very careful buying quartz crystal points.
                              Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                              X