Hardstone Tool ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardstone Tool ID?

Hey y’all! I seem to be finding quite a few hardstone tools as of late. This one came from a site in Iredell Co, NC. The points I’ve found at this site are predominately of the middle archaic era. This stone in particular appears to be hematite. The back side of the stone is slightly curved as shown in one picture below. Also, one end of the stone appears to have been grinded down as it is quite smooth and flat.

Any ideas as to what this thing could be or what it was used for? Thanks!
    North Carolina

Looks to be a quartzite and they did like using them for tools but I don’t see any use wear on yours. If it had been used it most likely would of been one of these 3 things. Pestle, hammer or a anvil. But I don’t see any cortex removed looks natural to me.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I'd say natural also, I find many similar ones on the Catawba river near my home.

Comment

The scratches you see are from farm machines like a plow or disc they are natural
        NW Georgia,

Comment

That's not sandstone??!!
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks like sandstone to me Tom. But the guys are right natural Stone for sure. not man made.
            Last edited by Hoss; 04-18-2019, 08:08 PM.

Hello the Hunter123 I hunt the adjoining county Mecklenburg and I agree with SCwalker and SurfaceHunter. The area around the Catawba river is littered with those rocks. Occasionally I will find one with some battering marks. Great to have you on board your in a great area for artifacts.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Working...
          X