Found in the Piedmont of NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found in the Piedmont of NC

Shortly after a big rain, I noticed this rock in a recently excavated area. This area has that nice red clay common in this area. I washed it off and noticed it looked somewhat like an arrowhead but much bigger and rounder than I am familiar with. Anyways, figured this was a good place to start for some info or background. I found it on my property in Catawba, NC. It is 4.75 long x 2.57in wide x .68in thick. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome from Connecticut...that's a cool blade . Congrats on the find.. you know there's a knife called a mid-back tang knife...on a site called .. projectilepoints.net . But this type falls under Texas stuff...not to say NAs didnt make em in NC....check out the site.... Red
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Probably a blade could of been used as is or a preform of a point. You should take something to probe in the spot you found it in there could be more. Usually are if it’s a blade sometimes many more. Nice find
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice find. As SurfaceHunter mentions, that could be one of many. I would really check out the area where it came from.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Thank you all for the info. Unfortunately the area excavated was to level a part of the property and the dirt has been disbursed. Will still look though. Any resources you could suggest to see something similar?

Comment

According to the projectilepoints.net website, looks like it might be similar to the Adena Blade. It is a slightly different region, the Ohio to Tennessee valley's but looks pretty close.

Comment

• redrocks
              redrocks commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes very similar....I was off with the tang knife ...I thought the two notches in the first pic looked like tang knife..but they are dings?

Nice blade, and probably made of Rhyolite.

Comment

Sweet find and it could have been part of a cache! To bad the area was leveled. With all the rain we have had recently there’s some nice artifacts to be found. There’s no telling what you will find if you ever plow the area and plant a garden?

Von

Comment

Very nice blade look how thick the patina gets on t5hat rhyolite. Congrats
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks. Not quite sure if the black showing was chipped recently from the excavation or what. But yeah, it's quite a difference.

Comment

The black showing is a recent chip most likely caused by leveling the property. Don’t worry because it’s one of the great properties of rhyolite artifacts. When you see black it’s either damage from a plow, mishandling or rechipping. Back in the day collectors would pretty up artifacts by rechipping or sharpening them. I don’t mind a old school pretty up but now days folks try to rechip a base on a broken point and sell it as authentic. With rhyolite it’s hard to do because it shows up so well as black.

You have a nice authentic blade with a little damage. No worries it’s a sweet find!

Von

Comment

No way for ID but it's sweet Guilford would be a guess archic point type which is to say the blade was in the first stage of refinement
                      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                      X