Scraper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraper?

Hello all.....I was wondering if this could've been a scraper, preform or some other tool......I found this in a location that has produced two points....couple of broken points and that adze/axe that some on here identified. I picked this up because it appeared to be some sort of chert and had some work to it....I can see a bulb of percussion on the flat side....funny thing is.....I threw Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_170348.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	367130 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_170356.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	367131 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_170353.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	367132 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_170340.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	367133 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_170841.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	367134 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_170429.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	367135 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_170532.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	367136 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_170400.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	367137 this down when I found it but went back a week later and was able to find the exact spot where I discarded.. .hence...I keep everything now that sparks my attention.....any thoughts on this?
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

It looks like knapping debitage.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Alrighty.....also wanted to add this was found in Montgomery co tn......the edges on this thing are super sharp.....but I guess this is why this made perfect material for stone tools.....thanks for the input ky point

Comment

Yes, debitage.
        South Dakota

Comment

Thanks sdhunter

Comment

Just the amateur in me....but when I find pieces that aren't points but appear to be worked with fine edges...I assume they are scrapers of some sort...how can I distinguish between debitage and a tool or scraper or is this all completely speculation/opinionated.....or is it that we all never really know that any piece found was or was not a tool

Comment

Just don’t stump your foot on it, cut ya to the bone !
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

debitage.....if it had secondary flaking to the edges then I would consider it something more...such as a scraper.....
                Southern Connecticut

Comment

Southern Connecticut

Comment

the pic I posted above shows secondary flaking to both lateral edges....one end has steep angle flaking as well but harder to see in this photo.....it is a good example of intentional secondary flaking
                    Southern Connecticut

Comment

Awesome.....thank you all

Comment

Here is another example of micro flaking that gcode was talking about. As you can see from the first pic the piece looks strikingly similar to your. On the flip side you can see the edgework. I dont see anything like that on your piece. Hope this helps.
                        Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• Tam
                          Tam commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Paleo edge work correct ? It’s that perfect one by one look .

Thank you for sharing skelton

Comment

I am not trying to step on anyone’s toes here and going to say that it can be very difficult to get the full perspective from pictures. Some of the most beautiful stone celts that I have ever found look like nothing more than rocks in some pictures and others make it obvious that they are perfectly bitted and shaped tools. That material that you seem to be finding so much of there is what I call “mud” brown jasper. It is very common to find artifacts down here that are worked very little on just one side. That material makes a really sharp edge when fractured at the right angle and also has great flaking properties that make it easy to knap long smooth grooves for your hand to fit for leverage forming like a handle on the tool. It is a very high quality chert. I do see some of the same flaking patterns and overall shape on your piece that I have found on many well used scraper artifacts that are easily identifiable in hand. It would not hurt to have it looked at because the pictures don’t always show the small signs of use. I have picked up a ton of knapping debris aka debitage and none of it is usually much larger than a quarter in size but our rocks were brought in from other locations that were a minimum of 100 miles away so they utilized their quality materials well so I am not familiar with large debitage.
                          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                            SurfaceHunter commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I’m sure if we find preform points and tools it wouldn’t be out of reach to say his could be a preform scraper due to the size of the piece

• gregszybala
                            gregszybala commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It may be, it could be. That is all we can state and those statements are just based on what we assume but don't know.
                            Last edited by gregszybala; 05-15-2019, 06:29 PM.

• Tam
                            Tam commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I agree . We will never know what they did in a pinch . I find things sharp as heck someonec could have used to help skin , butcher , like a fine micro blade is used for purposes .

Originally posted by Tam View Post
                          Paleo edge work correct ? It’s that perfect one by one look .
                          I believe so.

Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Working...
                          X