Clear All

• Benji
    replied
    Thank you all for your insight and thoughts on this piece

Leave a comment:

• Cskelton
    replied
    Originally posted by Tam View Post
    Paleo edge work correct ? It’s that perfect one by one look .
    I believe so.

Leave a comment:

• Tam
    commented on 's reply
    I agree . We will never know what they did in a pinch . I find things sharp as heck someonec could have used to help skin , butcher , like a fine micro blade is used for purposes .

• Tam
    commented on 's reply
    Paleo edge work correct ? It’s that perfect one by one look .

• gregszybala
    commented on 's reply
    It may be, it could be. That is all we can state and those statements are just based on what we assume but don't know.
    Last edited by gregszybala; 05-15-2019, 06:29 PM.

• SurfaceHunter
    commented on 's reply
    I’m sure if we find preform points and tools it wouldn’t be out of reach to say his could be a preform scraper due to the size of the piece

• Artifascination
    replied
    I am not trying to step on anyone’s toes here and going to say that it can be very difficult to get the full perspective from pictures. Some of the most beautiful stone celts that I have ever found look like nothing more than rocks in some pictures and others make it obvious that they are perfectly bitted and shaped tools. That material that you seem to be finding so much of there is what I call “mud” brown jasper. It is very common to find artifacts down here that are worked very little on just one side. That material makes a really sharp edge when fractured at the right angle and also has great flaking properties that make it easy to knap long smooth grooves for your hand to fit for leverage forming like a handle on the tool. It is a very high quality chert. I do see some of the same flaking patterns and overall shape on your piece that I have found on many well used scraper artifacts that are easily identifiable in hand. It would not hurt to have it looked at because the pictures don’t always show the small signs of use. I have picked up a ton of knapping debris aka debitage and none of it is usually much larger than a quarter in size but our rocks were brought in from other locations that were a minimum of 100 miles away so they utilized their quality materials well so I am not familiar with large debitage.

Leave a comment:

• Benji
    replied
    Thank you for sharing skelton

Leave a comment:

• Cskelton
    replied
    Here is another example of micro flaking that gcode was talking about. As you can see from the first pic the piece looks strikingly similar to your. On the flip side you can see the edgework. I dont see anything like that on your piece. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Benji
    replied
    Awesome.....thank you all

Leave a comment:

• cgode
    replied
    the pic I posted above shows secondary flaking to both lateral edges....one end has steep angle flaking as well but harder to see in this photo.....it is a good example of intentional secondary flaking

Leave a comment:

• cgode
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cgode
    replied
    debitage.....if it had secondary flaking to the edges then I would consider it something more...such as a scraper.....

Leave a comment:

• Lindenmeier-Man
    replied
    Just don’t stump your foot on it, cut ya to the bone !

Leave a comment:

• Benji
    replied
    Just the amateur in me....but when I find pieces that aren't points but appear to be worked with fine edges...I assume they are scrapers of some sort...how can I distinguish between debitage and a tool or scraper or is this all completely speculation/opinionated.....or is it that we all never really know that any piece found was or was not a tool

Leave a comment:

Working...
X