Beauty....ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beauty....ID help

A friend who metal detects and could care less about artifacts found this not long ago.

He stopped by to show me and referred to it as a "stupid rock".

Needless to say, I will be heading to that field next rainfall....

Early archaic?

Thoughts on ID?

Definitely Early Archaic with a base like that. I would put it in the LeCroy cluster if I found it out here in Ohio. Not sure what they would call it on the East Coast. Great find and that field needs your attention.\\
    Good Luck out there, fldwlkr
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Ha, It's out of My area but remind's Me of The MacCorkle Point's out that way. Nice Find!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Nice point .. there's a few bufurcate types in Northeast. Kinda similar...i like Josh's call of Mac Corkle...but it looks like a Taunton River also
        Last edited by redrocks; 06-12-2019, 06:10 AM.
        SW Connecticut

Comment

I wish I could find some stupid rocks that looked like that one
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            10-4 Glen

Looks larger than a LeCroy, at least the ones I have. Could you show size comparsion?

Comment

1.5 to 2 inches would be my guess
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Gary Fogelman published an excellent reference source for bifurcated points. For the longest time all bifurcated points fell into maybe three main types. MacCorkle, Lecroy, or Kanawha. The types are named based on the stem area mostly, and then the size, and configuration of the point itself, with or without serrations. Also these will differ based on regional forms. So it turns out there are really about a dozen different variations of bifurcated points! Notice the stems on this one are slightly convex all the way to the basal tips, with deep corner notches. This would then fit into a type called the Sandts Eddy, a variant of course, but not found in the bifurcate clusters from other areas. These are actually dated from a stratified site in Northampton Co., Pa., and named for that site. They are found across eastern Pa. into the north, central, and southern areas of western N.J. They date to 7420 B.C.
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• pkfrey
                pkfrey commented
                Editing a comment
                Just to add, the depth of the basal notch will also vary from one type to another.

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                Love it when you chime in Paul ..

Thanks for all the awesome replies.

He wanted to give it to me, but I never take anything I don't find myself.

I explained to him the importance of the artifact and the history behind it.

Its now not a "stupid rock" anymore.

Im heading out to that exact spot next week.

Hopefully I will find one (or two) on my own....

I will let everyone know how it goes.

Comment

I love stupid rocks. The stupider, the better
                South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                X