Artifact or Geofact in CT: UPDATED with working images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifact or Geofact in CT: UPDATED with working images

Hey there people who know things! I came across this stone while clearing some topsoil at my home in Connecticut and wondering if it’s artifact or geofact? Aside from the serrated edge, I don’t see anything that screams possible Human working, but I’m just a lowly amateur rock hound.

I was struck by how well it fits in the hand. There’s a notch on the “back” side in the perfect position for applying pressure to the edge (for a right-hander anyway).

The serrations don't look that regular from the side, but when you look down the edge, they appear very uniform and intentional. Hope the photo shows that clearly.

Any feedback appreciated.

If nothing else, I bet I could get 20 skips off this baby at the local pond :-D
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Snallygaster; 06-14-2019, 06:57 PM.

Holding it doesn’t help it’s rough material maybe try washing it. Outside pic is good maybe try laying it flat both sides after you wash it
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Thanks SurfaceHunter. Attached are some newer images with the stone washed. These are pretty true to actual color also. Many thanks for any help.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's another shot with less harsh lighting. The light areas on the near side look like scarring, and after washing it up the serrations are much more obvious. Any ideas anyone?
        Loving reading through others' posts here. I think I'm hooked. I have one other questionable (to me) find I'll put up in a different post too.
        Attached Files

Comment

It's an artifact.

Most likely what's left of a knife.

May well be pretty old.

Interesting material.

Nice find.

Last edited by tomf; 06-19-2019, 10:19 PM.
          California

Comment

Originally posted by tomf View Post
            It's an artifact.

Most likely what's left of a knife.

May well be pretty old.

Interesting material.

Nice find.

Thanks, Tom! Pretty cool! I've been casually looking around for artifacts on hikes, etc. for decades but haven't found ANYTHING until the last couple of years. I tend to doubt things I find, thinking my imagination is running away with me. But this one just felt "special" as soon as I picked it up. Curious about yours & others thoughts about age/origin or where I might dive deeper into Connecticut artifacts in my neck of the woods (Bethel/Danbury area).

Comment

• tomf
              tomf commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't speak to the age, except to point out the obvious wear, and I know nothing about Connecticut artifacts.

Other's here might know the area and pipe up.

However, I suspect there is not enough in that piece to make a call on it.

In fact, many may disagree it's an artifact at all and they know more than me.

So this is just an opinion.

Looks like a flake removed then just edge work applied I’d say scraper due to I don’t see any other work than the edges. It’s a rough material and probably hard to work. That’s my opinion others might see it differently
            NW Georgia,

Comment

I would go with "a rock". I think your photos are good enough to judge it to not be a lithic that would have been used to fashion flaked stone artifacts, and I can't see any indications of flaking. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I had it in hand, and I am not sure what kind of rock it is, though I would lean toward a grainy metamorphic rock, or possibly a sandstone. In any event, I'm not seeing an artifact based on the photos. Just another opinion....
              Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
              X