Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHAT is IT??? Never Seen Anything like THIS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT is IT??? Never Seen Anything like THIS!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DD6144A3-8895-4867-A10A-F1B46280E6FA.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	374394 Click image for larger version

Name:	FA51FD2E-9AFA-45B0-B2E4-EA8B8B20D106.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	374393
    I have never seen any stone this color or even similar so I picked it up and noticed some work on a couple of the edges. It also appeared to have been polished. I am thinking at that time it must be a scraper of sorts. When I turned it over and saw what appeared to be a head facing to the left. (Do you see it?) Click image for larger version

Name:	660EE416-08FF-494B-9B26-7AFFAB5F2236.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	374395 I was at a loss of words and thinking to myself I must be seeing things. All I can say is this rock is one of the most unusual things that I have ever found. The material itself is nothing short of fascinating. My downsized cellphone pics do not justify the glossy bright color and small details this stone shows in hand.
    SE ARKANSAS

Thars a crazy rock man. I know i woulda kept it
    SW Connecticut

Comment

I see the face also.

Comment

I don't know what rock type it is, because, for one thing, I am not from your region. But, although I see the face, it's natural, of course. I also don't see any worked edges, nor do I see any reason why that could not be natural polish. It is a pretty stone, however, and I might have collected it if I knew it was a rare rock type for my region.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Here is a natural small cobble/pebble made of a nice lithic, maybe agate, not at all sure. But notice the waxy polish, very similar to the waxy polish on your rock. It's a natural feature, not polished by man. We collected it though, just too pretty to leave....

Name:	8611F8F1-0137-4385-8842-059628E7419D-10469-000003D328F0B7B5.png
Views:	132
Size:	865.4 KB
ID:	374425

Rhode Island

Comment

Here is a man made image, carved on the bottom of a soapstone bowl. When one sees a man made image, one will know it, no guesswork will be required. If you believe the face on your stone is man made, and you haven't stated it flat out that you believe that, so I don't want to assume incorrectly here, but, if you were to so interpret it that way, it would be the same phenomenon as seeing images in clouds.....

Name:	IMG_3037.PNG
Views:	137
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	374432

Rhode Island

Comment

Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

You may know this already, but almost all the rock in your area(mine too) came from waaaaay up north, by way of the Mississippi. If you ever go out and walk the sandbars when the river is low, you will find all manner of rock not native to here. Imagine the drainage of the Mississippi River, from the Arkansas(starts in Colorado) to the Missouri(starts in Montana) to the east and the Ohio, Tennessee, and all they drain as well...everything southof the Great Lakes and east of the appalachians). There’s a lot of lithic variant in that watershed...

it looks like a piece of some chert that has been split and water polished for a million years or so. Some Native probably picked it up and thought “man, this looks like uncle Twodogs” or something, and carried it home to hang above the mantle.

i see the face. I also believe it’s natural, but a cool rock.
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Like I said I fixed it. I will be quite for now on for your post do as you want.
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

Looks like a broken piece of quartzite with some iron ore embedded in it.

I found pieces just like that all the time in my area.

Areas rich in iron ore will produce the most amount.

I see the face, but thats def natrual.

Looks cool though.

Comment

Name:	119A5A24-DC40-413D-B515-8C6E2EFB6B4A.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	374537
                      I believe this is a piece of extraordinary colored agatized Jasper with secondary flaking coming to a bit like a lot of the scrapers that I find but they are usually just brown or red jasper. Although it is highly polished it still has a very sharp edge that will cut your finger if you’re not careful. The opposite end is smooth and flat. It stands upright on its own to give you an idea of the 3 dimensional aspect of it. If you see the face on it like I do then the bridge of the “nose” is the scraper end of it. Regardless if it was meant to be an effigy or a scraper it is a very UNIQUE piece for my area or any that I have personally seen so I figured I would share regardless of any criticism. I know the pictures that I posted are of the actual piece that I found and it definitely has edge work and modifications that are hard to see due to resizing the image 3 times to allow it to post here. In hand you can see 5 beautiful long secondary flakes running parallel to each other. If nature done this well all I can say is I found one of the coolest rocks that I have ever seen. We found hundreds of points and artifacts on this site also.
                      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I would have picked that up also and given it a once or twice over. From a couple of your pics I thought it could be a fragment of a mastodon tooth. Looking closer, I agree it’s water polished rock.

Comment

Natural rock. I find those waxy polished rocks on the lake shore all the time.
                          South Dakota

Comment

It was someone’s special piece and now it’s yours . I have a small scrapper with a core on the bottom . I made up in my mind that the color was so nice and yes it has the best secondary flaking ever down the edge . It was theirs now it’s mine . Just like yours could cut you and then the flaking .

Comment

Working...
                            X