Pop eye Birdstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop eye Birdstone

Just wanted to share something. How once in a while, someone gets lucky. This pop eye, porphyry birdstone was an accidental find at a local auction. It was in a box lot marked, Pottery, artifacts, Tenn. I don't know if the auctioneer didn't recognize it, or what the case was. But I do think with all the fakes out there, people are becoming more skeptical of the authentic pieces. I looked as hard as I could for something wrong with this piece, and I couldn't find anything out of place. There's still some original pecking left, the tools marks are smooth and random, the quartz and feldspar inclusions are well oxidized and frost cracked, as well as having correct mineral deposits. And the overall form is perfect for the type. This would be past the preform stage, and ready to be finished, but it isn't drilled , and not well polished yet. The neck was broke and re-glued with very old brown glue used over 50 years ago. I think this birdstone still has a lot of character, and would be just as useful as a study piece to help identify authentic ones. These are the type artifacts needed for study, to help identify the manufacturing process, and what they should look like. If we, as collectors, take the time to study authentic artifacts of any type, it may help curb the need to send pieces out, and having repro/fake artifacts getting worthless COAs. It will probably never happen, just my little bit of advice to new collectors.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09118.JPG Views:	1 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	374641 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09119.JPG Views:	1 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	374642 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09120.JPG Views:	1 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	374643 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09121.JPG Views:	1 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	374644 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09122.JPG Views:	1 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	374645
    Last edited by pkfrey; 06-24-2019, 10:09 AM.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Wow PK that is an awesome find. If you feel its authentic and I am not doubting your acumen on that at all then I will agree. My limited knowledge would have had me leaning in that direction also. That is a killer...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• pkfrey
      pkfrey commented
      Editing a comment
      Baba, I find it interesting, and even amusing, how a room full of collectors would let this piece go by, and how they would sell it in a box lot! It's how we think that's very interesting. All it takes is for two or three people to state the fact that they don't think a piece like this is authentic, and everyone accepts the opinion of a few people. Sometimes not even knowing who they are! Let the artifact speak for it's self, irregardless of what anyone else thinks. With all the fakes out there, we have to educate ourselves, and really start trusting our own instincts. The fakes in the market is this hobbies biggest problem, but the solution is there, if we start trusting ourselves and stop relying on COAs and opinions. Thank You for your comment!!

Paul,

Great looking piece. I just picked up a bunch of slate or I would be PMing you about that one.

Joshua
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

That’s an amazing find! It has some special character to it that makes it even more fascinating than the picture perfect ones any day! Congrats!
      Last edited by Artifascination; 06-24-2019, 10:25 AM.
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Just a natural rock, imo.

Just kidding, that is an awesome accidental find! I love when stuff like that happens.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• pkfrey
          pkfrey commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't let this just FLY by, I have to find a new NEST for it! Maybe it will be nesting at my place for awhile! The true story: It was a friend of mine who bought this, only because it was really cheap at the auction. He didn't know if it was good or not, so he was trying to sell it ( since we don't talk values or money here ) I will just say, for pocket change! I told him it was good, and worth ten times what he wanted for it. I could have just bought it at his price, but I wanted to be ethical and honest with the guy, so we agreed on a consignment. Now, and I really like this piece, I can't afford to buy it, so for being honest, I'm out a nice pop eye birdstone!! Me and my big mouth!!
          Last edited by pkfrey; 06-24-2019, 02:05 PM.

• Cotton1961
          Cotton1961 commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice Paul I know you will find it a very good home!!!

Your a good man Paul
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Very nice relic Paul and cool story too.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• pkfrey
            pkfrey commented
            Editing a comment
            Hoss, Just a quick note to the forum members, sometimes I know what I want to say, but not always how to say it! What I mean about collectors educating themselves, and trying to get better at it, is not meant to imply any one individual, a group, any forums and the members, or anyone specific, doesn't already have the experience, I am talking about the collecting community as a whole, anyone, everyone, including myself. We need to find a solution to help collectors recognize fake/repro from authentic, end or at least try and avoid the business scam called COAs. Not everyone, I understand a few people are qualified to offer a trusted opinion, but I would bet a good 95% of all the people claiming to be authenticator's, are simply taking your money, and they are not qualified to be authenticating artifacts. .Anyway, this forum, and all the members are the best bunch of guys in the hobby, and the best place to go with questions, or to seek advice. There's other places to go, but I prefer this one!! The folks here are more like friends than just forum members!!

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            We are glad you are here with us too Paul. I agree about education. Like you I am not adapted to teaching. My mind is full of info from the last 50 years relating in in an interesting way to others is ta very hard thing to do.

Well Paul , it’s like those relics, pieces of art etc that are found at a garage sale that are worth a lot of money . Sometimes the dollar just doesn’t come into play because it’s just so collectible that person that found it wants to keep and enjoy it .
          Fantastic save my friend . Glue and all it’s a piece of the past that will like you said be studied and enjoyed .

Comment

Thanks Paul
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Amazing !
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Due to learning on forums like this one and finding them myself I can spot a fake pretty quick. It’s a nice feeling being able to know the difference. I’ve even made a few hard stone pieces just for the heck of it to see what they would take to do and see what a drill looks like for holes so I can spot them. It doesn’t take long at all to make a fake. I like your birdstone
                NW Georgia,

Comment

• pkfrey
                  pkfrey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank You, You can visibly see the handiwork that went into this, and rule out Dremel or machine work. It's pretty visual just from photos!
                  Last edited by pkfrey; 06-25-2019, 06:09 AM.

Beautiful bird, thanks for sharing!

Comment

That's just awesome Paul, thanks for the show.
                  Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Paul, as usual, your Post is full of useful information and thought provoking as well. Awesome bird, good sir!!
                    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

What a great piece! Hard to believe that it was in a box of random pieces. Happy you got it!
                      South Carolina

Comment

Working...
                      X