Bear Effigy Clay Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Effigy Clay Pipe

Acquired from Old Timer's collection, via his granddaughter, in far south of New York State, almost in PA. A comparable can be seen at this Smithsonian affiliated website: https://e-humanity.org/artifact.php?artifact_id=14168&query=||||&database =ehumanity. Interestingly enough...that comparable was found in my home area of Cayuga County, NY. The comparable looks less detailed, more worn than my example.Does that mean it is older?

I believe my pipe is authentic Iroquois: my question is - how old? The aforementioned web site states that a similar "owl effigy pipe" was "made in reproduction 1935-37." So, do I have a 90 year old, Iroquois 'reservation-era' pipe made and used by Iroquois in 1930's OR a 290 (!) year old Iroquois pipe made and used by Iroquois during early Contact period? In either case...it is in fantastic condition...and very cool. But I do wish I could date it.

Any opinions (Paul!?) are most welcomed.!
    Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

I’ve never seen anything like it before hope it’s real
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Cmcramer
      Cmcramer commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out the link to Smithsonian site....I hope it's real, too!

Chris, I'm sorry, but this pipe is a copy of an original. The typology, and decorative lines don't match what would be on an original. You wouldn't expect to see so many geometric lines on an original. Some have simple rings incised behind, or under the effigy. Some have a group of horizontal lines going in one direction, but not intercepted by other vertical lines. The elbow going to the bowl should be a lot straighter, not on this shallow curvature feature. There isn't any slip eroded away from being in the ground, and there isn't any shell or grit temper exposed on the surface. The bear head, for being Cayuga is quite a bit larger than it should be. The head on your pipe was " pinched " on and shaped, rather than carved out, and is out of form. I've attached a photo of a Cayuga bear effigy pipe from my collection, and a photo taken from a page out of Ed Rutsch's book, Smoking Technology/New York state. You can see the simple incised lines in the bowl, the originals are less decorated than yours. And the angle of the bowl and stem are important features. Sorry Buddy, it's a copy, but a good copy. How old I don't know. Maybe from the 1950s or so. It wouldn't be " reservation ", that's a generic term for artifacts anyway.

copy!! Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09125.JPG Views:	1 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	374967 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09126.JPG Views:	1 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	374968
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Cmcramer
      Cmcramer commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang.
      So it's a 60 year old NA pipe....not 260....I accept your judgement. But who made it? A white guy?
      Last edited by Cmcramer; 06-25-2019, 04:32 PM.

• pkfrey
      pkfrey commented
      Editing a comment
      It could have been made by another collector to use for demonstration. Copies weren't made by the Indians back then. maybe now, to sell to tourists. But I would suspect a collector just wanted to try and see if he could make a pipe. It happens!

• Cmcramer
      Cmcramer commented
      Editing a comment
      Double Dang. But thank you for your expertise. Authenticity is Job #1.

Dang
    South Dakota

Comment

Working...
    X