Cache Blades !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cache Blades !

From same Old Timer's collection as Bear Effigy Pipe, this group of 21 blades came with a hand written note that said all 21 pieces were dug up in same spot: named the collector, the land owner, the village, and included a 'treasure map' showing how many 'paces' to take from a certain tree in a certain direction on farmer's land in order to find the cache location! Cool!

If this lithic is Onondaga Chert - which I assume it must be - it is the most unique and beautiful Onondaga I have seen. Some pieces have black + white coloration I have not seen before. And these pieces are extremely thin (...and very sharp...) as I have tried to show in a couple photos: maybe 3-4 mm. Fine workmanship. Just exquisite.

I consider my purchase a "rescue" - this cache was glued into an old frame buried in a corner of a junky bookshelf; ignored, neglected, uncared for. As soon as my new display case arrives, they will live again proudly on my living room shelves.....where everyone MUST see them!

Do you agree this is Onondaga Chert....or some sub-species of Onondaga?

Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

They are awesome !

Comment

Great group of Blades!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Really neat pieces, congrats.

Comment

Great get! Those are Meadowood cache blades.

Western University, in vibrant London, Ontario, delivers an academic and student experience second to none.

Meadowood points:

Last edited by CMD; 06-25-2019, 03:47 PM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

You have salvaged an incredible cache of Onondaga chert Meadowood blades. These are found in caches from Md. to N.Y. Very thin and expertly crafted preforms for the notched Meadowood blade. These are often found with an artifact like a birdstone, a tube pipe, or something left with the cache to protect it. These are believed to be pre - Adena related and dates from NY have been assigned to the early Woodland period, 500 B.C. - 900 B.C. Caches of over 200 points have been found along the Susquehanna River in Central Pa. Many times most of the pieces are broken or killed. If yours are all intact, that is unique in itself!!! I don't remember seeing the bear pipe.
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Tam
              Tam commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice information Paul

A cache of 499 Meadowood blades, hidden in a spring, was discovered in Glastonbury, Ct.

You can see photos of this huge cache in the article titled "The Smith Brook Site", by Richard Bourn, at this link:

Last edited by CMD; 06-25-2019, 04:00 PM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Wouldn’t it be awesome to find something like that? Wonderful
              South Dakota

Comment

Glad you saved them. Beautyfull points. Closest I have came to a cache is 2 adenas 30 feet apart.
                SE IA

Comment

Cool pieces! I’ve seen that high quality Onondaga chert at one of the Crowfield sites in Canada, the material might have an outcrop there that is more colorful or maybe there was a better grade vein exploited prehistorically?
                  Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Cmcramer
                    Cmcramer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting, clovisoid. I wonder if this Onondaga Chert came from the Crowfield site source? It's not far away: These Meadowood blades were found about 45 miles due north of Olean, NY.

• pkfrey
                    pkfrey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Most of the Onondaga chert that we see came from the Divers Lake source in western NY. It outcrops, however, across southern Ontario into NY, and there are several quarry sources across NY to the Hudson Valley. And each of these sources will yield a slightly different color variation, but it can always be identified by the mottled appearance, and white inclusions. A lot of it is more on the yellowish color from central NY to the Hudson Valley. It can also be found as a cobble chert along many of the major rivers. Every culture, with the exception of the Archaic Piedmont culture, used thus chert.

Nice cache of blades.......you were lucky to have acquired them. Good to see them all together.

Comment

That’s the stuff dreams are made of.

i still think Cindy Crawford is lovely, but I don’t dream about her anymore like I do stuff like that.😇
                    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

That would be something . I almost think those are days gone by but we should fell lucky to be finding what we are now . I always think about that .

Comment

Working...
                      X