Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found in Oyster Bay Washington State - Is it just a piece of rock? :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found in Oyster Bay Washington State - Is it just a piece of rock? :)

Hello,

I was attending a memorial service on Sunday at Oyster Bay in Washington State. Oyster Bay is to the West of Seattle across the Puget Sound. We have all sorts of little bays, inlets, and lagoons in our area. I grew up across the street from Burley Lagoon and walked the beach constantly but never found anything like this. Oyster Bay has some pretty substantial tides this time of year and the tide was very far out when I went to walk the beach. I found this and my first thought was it could be an arrowhead or other type of stone tool. It looks like it's made of slate or churt, very dense dark gray with a little shimmer, good heft and fine layers I'm assuming if it is an artifact, the material and time laying around in water, mud and sand may have made it so dull and rounded.

OR! It's just a piece of rock! Hence this post. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

My primary hobbies are collecting antique violins, vintage SW Native American jewelry and antique Victorian jewelry. So if any of y'all have a fiddle laying around, or grandma's ring or some turquoise jewelry, I would be happy to share my knowledge!

Thank you,

Jeny Mahon - Seattle WA

Kinda shaped like a point, but i believe its just a rock.

Comment

Looks like some of the points found on the a east coast, which don’t always look like points I am used too, but that being said, I would call it natural.
      South Dakota

Comment

Could of been a knife at one time but that material with the wave action on it for so long will actually turn back to rock stage. If it was something in the past it’s just to far gone now to say. I’ve found some that I think could of been but most of the time I don’t even bother bringing them home anymore if they are that far gone. CMD has some of the best erased flaking examples that I know of. Keep looking maybe the next one will be better
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Thanks so much for the help, everybody! This is why I go to the experts

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Keep up the beach-walking and the looking down, you’ll find something eventually. There are some amazing/stunning artifacts from your area. 👍

(Welcome to AH.com, by the way)

I have never found any beach artifacts and ones the guys on here find have no pressure flaking left , no serrations I believe to be like sea glass . All sharp at one time then smooth after decades of rolling in the tides .
          That looks like many of the ones posted and like surfacehunter said could be a knife . You will know when you start finding more in that very desirable area . Put the pieces together and hold on to that .

Comment

Working...
          X