Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a pipe with a face- my first posting ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a pipe with a face- my first posting ever!

I have many boxes of projectile points and fossils that were given to me. In the box with the Texas points was this pipe. The face on the pipe was molded and placed onto the pipe as a separate piece. The pipe is about 3 inches long. What do you all think? Hmmmmm

My guess is that it's modern but I don't know anything about your area so I couldn't say. Someone will be along to help.

Comment

• mysterygirlx
      mysterygirlx commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you -never sure of course-I am more versed in Great Basin points.

Most areas are pretty consistent when it comes to pipes. This would be a good artifact that falls under the rule, " There's an Exception to Every Rule. " Pipes were very significant, and spiritual. With the exception of some small palm size pipes known as personal pipes. These normally didn't have a face or any effigy on the bowl. The others, like this one, which was a communal pipe and passed around, would have the face on the bowl facing the smoker. The face represents the spirit himself, and the native would communicate with the spirit of choice in this manner while smoking. So that's the one big concern. The other is crudeness. Pipes were fashioned with a lot of time and care, and would not normally be this crude in manufacture. It lacks polish and refinement. Being from Texas, I suppose it's supposed to represent a Caddo pipe, but it looks very tourist trade Mexican, and has a Pre-Columbian face style. I believe you have a tourist pipe bought in Mexico, and it came across the border with some other tourist items. Probably 1950s - 1960s.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• mysterygirlx
      mysterygirlx commented
      Editing a comment
      perfect explanation for me. I do like the "little face" on it.

I don’t know much about pipes but would like to see some of those projectile points!
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I agree , looks like some nice things in that case in the first pic .

Comment

Yes, let’s see some more
        South Dakota

Comment

Working...
        X