Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been wanting some thoughts on this for a while...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been wanting some thoughts on this for a while...

This is not a find of mine. This pic was sent to me a while back from a source that I consider reliable. He said it was found surface hunting in a field. I have never seen anything like it and can't think of what its use could be if it had a said use. Click image for larger version

Name:	Malones Eccentric....jpg
Views:	234
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	378045 The pic was buried in my computer files and I just found it. I just wanted some thoughts. It was found in West Central Illinois.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Spider effigy? 8 legs.
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

• BabaORiley
      BabaORiley commented
      Editing a comment
      Got me CJ...as good a thought as any...

if its not some type of effigy maybe a tool for stripping vines for weaving.

Comment

• BabaORiley
      BabaORiley commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thought also Tocco...

It could be the first ancient ninja throwing star! I know that I wouldn’t want to get hit with it haha (JK) I believe they are referred to as multi notch pendants. I have never found one personally but my understanding is that it would have been painted and intricately wrapped to create a design to wear. I guess it could have been used as a tool of sorts also but I figure it’s a tie on pendant. Possibly Spider effigy pendant?
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Hey Frank, That's a nice eccentric. I don't think it was a tool. Ancient stone art is what i believe. I have one from Texas.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I don’t know if you have ever bow hunted, but they make small game points that are meant to stun/incapacitate the animal without ripping it in half. This could be such a point...?..

super cool piece, either way.
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• BabaORiley
          BabaORiley commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes Jethro I have been shooting a bow since I could. Are you talking about judo points ? If so then that is a good thought also...

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I’ve heard them called judo points, waterfowl points, small game points, blunts...and probably some things I can’t post here.đŸ˜³. They are all basicly the same purpose, with different designs, I think.

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes and I have seen nub ones for stunning . Weird choice of words but in books and holding
          Last edited by Tam; 07-10-2019, 03:31 PM.

Tie on pendant
        NW Georgia,

Comment

An eccentric for sure, and a nice one at that!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Although the larger tine coulda been where it was hafted. Maybe
            SW Connecticut

Comment

It’s very unusual . Everyone has nailed it but what the person choose to do with it ...who knows . If you look in overstreet they say exotic . People tell me those were practice pieces .
              Then like Jethro pointed out stunning point .

Comment

eccentric nice find. Maybe the maker was just practicing notching .
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  While the concept of them practicing has never crossed my mind, you could be spot-on.

Cool to find that
                South Dakota

Comment

Looks like it has a base. I would say a hafted tool of some sort ?

Comment

Originally posted by toccopola View Post
                    if its not some type of effigy maybe a tool for stripping vines for weaving.
                    I've often thought the same about a fiber processing tool for those type artifacts.

Comment

Working...
                    X