Pottery or nottery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery or nottery...

A friend of my wife was tilling a new garden earlier this year and ran across this. Their yard backs up to a creek that has a lot of NA history to it as it is navigable and is a conduit between two large rivers. I just cant make a for sure call on it. I have one pottery sherd in 30 years about the size of a quarter. I have looked at many images online and some look similar but not definitive. Being a field hunter I can ID busted tiles easily but this piece just didn't look like it. It could be just that or just a busted modern piece. I should know more about this but I do not often find pottery sherds. That darkening on the one side is moisture because I just rinsed and brushed it.
    Attached Files
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Hey Frank, probably one of the best clues is what was used to temper the clay. Ancient peoples used crushed shells, crushed pottery, or sand.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• BabaORiley
      BabaORiley commented
      Editing a comment
      Ron its really hard to tell. Under the lens I see specs of grit and other specs but I just cant make a yea or nay on it.

I say not
    NW Georgia,

Comment

It might be, I'm not saying it is, but it might be just a weird rock. I have found some like that before. In my opinion, if it was pottery, it would have been better made, and maybe a little bit more curved.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I have picked up buckets of pottery in my days .
        It looks to have the qualities of a rock . Just like a perfect sliver of rock come off another one .
        Its that darn side pic that’s throwing me off . It’s to perfect .
        Got me I would have to hold it .

Comment

• BabaORiley
          BabaORiley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tam...I know its a hard call for me and I have seen the pottery that you have grabbed...I just dont find it around here despite two places that were sites from late Archaic to the edge of Mississippian...

Yeah it’s a weird one hang on to it and see if you find more . The puzzle will be solved . Always optimistic in my finds . And sometimes it turns out an interesting answer.

Comment

Might be a piece of a stone roof tile pottery has a curve to it 99 percent of the time
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• BabaORiley
            BabaORiley commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely SH. Even the quarter sized sherd that I have has some curve to it. Good call on the roof tile. I never thought of that.

Nottery
          South Dakota

Comment

• BabaORiley
            BabaORiley commented
            Editing a comment
            I was leaning towards that Gary. I just wasn't sure.

Ok gang. Its been decided that it is a modern piece and not NA pottery. I didn't think so but I couldn't find anything convincing to sway a decision. Like Tam said sometimes you have to have it in hand and that's very true. The lack of a curve and the absence of a definitive grit in the mix is what I will base it upon. Thank you all for your input on this matter.
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            If you like I will start saving some for you that I find. I don’t keep it much but if you want some I will?
        Working...
        X