Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this debitage?

Hello,
    I've been spending more time looking for signs from the past on my dads property in ca. Started noticing a ton of this stuff which I suspect is low quality chert or petrified wood. Not sure though.
    edit-check out photos in next post below.
    Last edited by JesseJames; 07-10-2019, 05:51 PM.

I do not see any debitage. A good indication of debitage is flat, smooth flakes. Watch a flint knapping video on YouTube, that's a help.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• JesseJames
      JesseJames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, I do a little knapping myself so I know what you mean. Conchoidal fracture scarring is usually a dead giveaway, but I understand some lithic materials don't flake as well as others. Quartz is one that I find tricky to ID.
      When I began looking on this property, I was searching for obsidian but after further research and peeling my eyes for red and white chert, I started noticing this stuff.
      It's covered in red clay so it is really hard to make out most of the time. The most compelling piece will be in the second post on the thread.

The most exciting thing i've found to date since the mano is this small knife/scraper looking thing. It was sitting on top of a pile of discarded gopher tailings. It was very white and I thought it was a piece of plastic at first. It feels cold and hard like stone and i'm thinking petrified wood or bone. Not sure about the "collar bone", but maybe somebody with more anatomical knowledge and point me in the right direction. Not human correct?

Comment

Just rocks
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
      X