Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just another rock made by Mother Nature or???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another rock made by Mother Nature or???

Field find in NW New Jersey it was in a area where I’ve found a few broken points an tons of chips. It looks to me like it’s been worked but being new to this I wasn’t sure what it would have been. Any thoughts??? Thank you for any feedback
    Warren County New Jersey

That is a tough one for sure it looks to be worked a little but I have seen slag that looks like that as well so I have no comment either way
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

It’s a core
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Thank you Surface Hunter I was kind of leaning towards that but being new to this I wasn’t sure. One thing was for sure is it was definitely something cool so it now has a new home
      Warren County New Jersey

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Now you know what material they were using in that area so look for black by the way that’s my favorite color to find. I don’t really keep the cores anymore but I sure have picked ups 100s of them big and small here in north Georgia that’s the material of choice

It’s really weird because I’ve found hundreds and hundreds of black chips in this spot but only one black arrowhead most stuff is light grey and partially translucent
      Warren County New Jersey

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a nice one the black chert here has a lot of inclusions in it mostly quartz crystals that run through the chert I find a lot of worked pieces broken right at those inclusions. And a lot of preforms. Chips all over as well. You might want to look at some of my recent post for finds those chips you are seeing could be tiny points mixed in. Takes a while to learn how to see the difference between them but once you learn it’s fun. Both sides will be flaked if it’s a point

Thank you again for your input I will see if I cannot find some of those recent posts and see if I’m missing something
      Warren County New Jersey

Comment

Working...
      X