Little Adze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Adze?

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	379183 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	379182 This piece might just be a rough side scraper but I was wondering if anyone thought this could be an abandoned small flint adze? The size might rule it out at about 2.5 X 1.5 inches, but it has two beveled edges. I don't think it was completed or used for that because I don't see any polish on either end. I think that piece of cortex left on might have given someone making it issues and they just used it for a scraper. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by flintguy; 07-15-2019, 01:09 AM.
    Central Ohio

Sorry for the duplicate pics in the middle. Not sure why that happened and I could not get rid of them in edit mode.
    Central Ohio

Comment

Very interesting Flintguy. I have a piece that is very similar to that one and I have never been sure what it was. Like yours it absolutely shows work from human hands. If its ok with ya I'd like to post a pic for comparison.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure, I'd love to see it. Thanks.

I found something similar, also. I always thought it was made for a scraper. Click image for larger version

Name:	9CDC9856-7402-462C-91B7-796C59C6353B.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	379256 Click image for larger version

Name:	E320E9E7-E740-44B1-B04B-85522648FEEC.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	379255
      Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, similar look for sure. That squared off look to it. Almost wedge like.

This is the piece that I mentioned. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	379285 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1222.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	379286 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1223.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	379287 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1221.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	379288
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Again, very similar look. I wonder if it was a type of woodworking tool? They are all a little too thick to be a classic square knife. Interesting.

• BabaORiley
        BabaORiley commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I thought they looked similar...woodworking tool is sure a possibility. I also do not have any other lithic like that in my collection. I dont even know what it is. Might just have to look into that...

I would certainly believe it is an adze, or type of wood working tool. I find many, many of these in s creek I hunt that is well known for paleo activity. The majority of what I find is these types, and they are really nice finds in my opinion.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Eastern; 07-15-2019, 04:39 PM. Reason: Here are just a few of my similar ones.
      Jackson County, Mo

Comment

Even looks like there is a little graver side to that 2nd 4th photo

Comment

Working...
        X