Just a water worn rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a water worn rock?

I found this rock tonight and I don’t know if it’s some kind of artifact or not? I know it’s a river round stone but that’s what caught my attention because there isn’t any more of these in the area I’m hunting. Any thoughts would be appreciated thank you.
    Warren County New Jersey

Maybe. But The indentation or groove in the center looks fairly recent as compared to the rest of the rocks patina

Comment

Yea I thought it looked like it was different I will wash out the dirt that’s imbedded in the indentation and see if it looks any different
      Warren County New Jersey

Comment

Does it have a pit on the other side as well? Could be a pitted hammerstone.
        Central Ohio

Comment

Artifact for sure, pitted stone multi purpose tool.

Comment

Nutting stone.

Comment

Here’s some more pictures. Not quite sure what happened but I posted these pictures earlier and somehow my post disappeared! Sorry if i double post not my intention
              Warren County New Jersey

Comment

Again, my usual when I see something beautiful/ something I want for self/ something I think may be more than rock:: o my o my o my o my
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Cup stone? I am amazed to think you put rock in hole to stabilize, then use “chisel and hammer” to work rock. That’s four rocks!
                  Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Cecilia, it takes a lot of self control for me to not come home with piles of rocks every time I go out on a walk! My wife doesn’t understand the beauty of these things and would probably divorce me if I brought home everything that catches my eye! But I have a couple big stockpiles hiding in the woods just In case I become single again one day! Lol
                    Warren County New Jersey

Comment

Looks like a stone used as an anvil for bipolar knapping.
                      Central Virginia

Comment

Either a hammer or a anvil. Most anvils I have found are more flat but I’m not saying it’s not
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                        X