Help with ID on a point, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ID on a point, please

Found in a farm field, LaSalle County, IL.

At the projectilepoints site (IL) it sure looks like an "Adena Snapped Base" shown there, "Late Archaic to Woodland". That's my newbie evaluation anyway.

It's in a frame and I did not want to mess with taking it out. It was hard enough to get into the frame. The photos were taken through a glass cover. Photo 2 shows the size better, sorry about the shadow.

Seeking knowledgeable comments. Thanks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65197.jpg Views:	1 Size:	28.1 KB ID:	386280 Click image for larger version

Name:	587845966.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	386285
    Last edited by Hyzer; 08-18-2019, 02:38 PM.

It’s going to be hard for these guys to ID because it’s usually about the base .
    I have a vanishing stem Adena that has the look of the second pic if that’s a small ear .
    Can’t wait for the experts . Nice flaking on the one side could just be a knife

Comment

Late archaic to woodland knife. The base is worked all the way around don’t see any”snapped” feature.

Comment

Don't look like it is a snapped basa adena to me. The work on the base just don't look like a snapped area. Nice knife in any case.
        SE IA

Comment

Not an Adena but may be a baseless knife or possibly a corner tanged knife.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Archaic knife no other name for it that I would know
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Thanks everyone. Archaic knife it is. No disagreements. The photo to the right is from projectilepoints and next to the photo was the title "Adena Snapped Base". You can see why this newbie thought it was an "Adena Snapped Base"! Still, I figured it was not as easy as looking at a tiny internet photo and making a definitive ID. That's why I came here!

Click image for larger version  Name:	587753529.jpg Views:	2 Size:	28.1 KB ID:	386325 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_65209.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	386324

Comment

Great lesson for me Hyser , didn't even look at the flaking at the bottom .

Comment

Working...
                X