Help with type of Point.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with type of Point.

I really must be loosing it, I found this point in with a bunch of my Tenn finds and for the life of me have no info on it. I cant remember anything about it. All I can assume is it is from Tenn since it was in with my pf points. Could it be an offshoot of a Dalton? Bugs the heck out of me, Where I found it leads me to beleive I didnt buy it? I usually take pictures and log all my stuff but nothing for this little guy..

Thats cool ..i do think that is a Jacks Reef pentagonal point...pretty sure theyre found in Tennessee
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      They are some call them Pee Dees

How big is it?
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• c_venture
      c_venture commented
      Editing a comment
      I am Sorry, The little Squares are 1/2" so 1.5"x1" Thanks!

Pending the size as requested by Hoss, i'd concur with Jack's Reef Pentagonal. If those are 1/4 inch increments it would put it at a hair over 3/4 wich is pretty typical for that type being under an inch... I have found one broken here in east TN, I have a friend who must have at least 10 examples he's found. And all were a very similar grey Knox chert, Wich can vary from slightly transparent grey to a non transparent grey your showing.

Funny i was looking at projectilepoints.net at the Jack's Reef Pentagonal and Pee Dee's types, I knew they were one in the same just called Pee Dee in Virginia and Carolinas... But apparently they made room for another name for the Buffer area between the two "types" (that are the same) and called it South Appalachian Pentagonals. Lol....

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Looks like Burlington Chert from the color ( pink ) Have you found that in your area ?

Comment

• c_venture
        c_venture commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually I Live in Ohio and have hunted many different states. This one just happened to be in a box of my Tenn Finds.

It looks like a JR Pentagonal for sure.

Comment

Jacks Reef, although colloquially I call it a Pee Dee. Fairly wide spread from the Atlantic coastal plain to the Ohio Valley. They range in size from small to medium. Nice find.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
        X