Slag or small scraper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slag or small scraper?

I found this awhile ago but never posted it because I assumed it was just slag and it seemed too small to be an end scraper, but after Poquonock posted their beautiful tiny scrapper last week, it got me thinking about this piece. Turns out I still had it. After a second look, it still seems like it is slag, which would rule out it being an artifact unless it's a historic one, but it does looked worked all the way around. Also wondered if it could possibly be a “D” style gun flint? Open to any comments.
    Central Ohio

Sure is tiny slag here has tiny holes in it. I don’t see any holes.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Let’s see the other side please...
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, sorry thought I put one in there.

Here is the back side. Central Ohio find.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        I have some thumb scrapers that small too. Hard to imagine how they used em, but they did !

Awesome, I've found a couple that size on a site where I've found tiny, I mean real tiny triangles, when I compare to larger finds they are exact style,shape and workmanship

Comment

I have always been amazed also who made birdies that fit on the top on my first finger . I can’t even hold them let alone who knapped them .

Comment

I agree Tam. I've seen some really small points that I can't imagine trying to control those delicate flakes. As you said, I had trouble just holding this piece to take a picture of it.
          Central Ohio

Comment

O

Comment

Sorry new to this, sometimes my imagination gets the best of me but I wonder if they utilized a blow gun of some sort,some of those tiny points are hard to picture hafted to an arrow proportionate to their size,a dart I could see,still amazing no matter what propelled thrm

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve wondered that a few times especially when I find a point.5 of a inch

Thanks surface hunter.,I read where the Cherokee utilized the river cane in their homeland and used the fluff from the cattails as fetching,I'm in southern Michigan and find coshocton and once in awhile what I hope is flintridge cuz thats

Comment

Sorry,fat fingers, anyway, flint and chart traveled and so did organic material, who knows?

Comment

Working...
                X