Possible canoe tie? Identify piece found in creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible canoe tie? Identify piece found in creek

Hey guys! So excited to find this group. Grew up arrowheading with my dad and I miss it so much. Recently found this piece though on a trip to Oregon. At the base of a creek that meets a lake about 100 ft up from lake.

My dad thought it might be a tie for their boats. Size of a bowling ball

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by PNWTreasures; 09-17-2019, 03:24 PM.

Would be like hauling a rock that weighs more in my kayak to secure it when I could just pull it up on shore a safe distance, unless it is a big stone and boat was big. My thoughts it would not be useful in a canoe.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Interesting!! Looks like it has been battered?..and the "battering" is not on all sides... but the grooves around it are natural. You could tie canoes or animals up but not carry it around much.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

No comment....
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I don’t think it’s natural, at least entirely. It’s intricately worked around all sides, but I could be wrong. The reason for a boat tie on a lake would be as a home base to anchor it when returning. There was a known Native American population residing nearby this location. I’ll add a few more pics.

Comment

Please place something for size in your photos when posting. Your first photo makes this look like a huge boulder then in another photo I see your toes. It doe look like it was worked. maybe an anchor stone for any number of things. Fish net perhaps ? Size references may help.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• PNWTreasures
              PNWTreasures commented
              Editing a comment
              It's about the size of a bowling ball I would say. Probably 20-30lbs or so. I will get a photo for scale next time I'm there.

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks

I'm not sure about the reference piece but in the first pic....that is a huge mushroom in the background....I wonder if that was peyote used for ceremonial purposes😉
            Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Is the very bottom smooth or textured?

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                I'm not sure about the reference piece but in the first pic....that is a huge mushroom in the background....I wonder if that was peyote used for ceremonial purposes😉
                Peyote is a cactus.

Check my avatar.
                California

Comment

Working...
                X