This is an odd one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is an odd one

Hello guys and gals I recently acquired some artifacts and this was among them. It looks like a broken Celt that was being reduced once again into a useful artifact. But what? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	392837 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1303.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	392838 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	392839 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1304.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	392840 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1302.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	392841 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	392842 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1299.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	392843 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1301.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	392844
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

The two spots on the the opposing side from the words London Ont. are glue.It has a lot of pecking on it. I wonder why they gave up? Perhaps it is finished but what could it have been? A hard stone with a tight grain.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yes, it absolutely looks like a hardstone celt or adz preform. I've made 2 celts,and 2 axes using peck and grind, and that piece is certainly being pecked. Looks like he got a few hours in and either lost it or something else came up. Just a slightly educated guess but I think he was a quarter to maybe a third of the way into the project.
      Central Virginia

Comment

Chisel or maybe a wedge
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Shows a lot of pounding on the base end

Interesting piece and we can only guess at why or what.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Maybe an adze im thinking matt
          SW Connecticut

Comment

That looks like something I'd do.

Have a great idea for a tool, start it, realize it's harder than it looks, give up.

Yep, somethn' I'd do!
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hi Matt. Without a well defined bit end it's hard to say what it was or what it was intended to be if not finished. It does look like a celt of some sort. I kinda think maybe an adz, but who knows? The lithic is not one that I ever found in my old hunting grounds of N. AL & Mid TN.
              Last edited by sailorjoe; 09-20-2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

That looks like one that’s unfinished to me, and a very cool one at that. Like maybe they had been working on it for fortyleven years and then maybe they died or gave up on it.?
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Maybe used to smash out burned sections of a dugout canoe to get back down to the wood?
                  North Carolina

Comment

I’m thinking complete, akin to a war club...
                    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Adze / Celt . Sometimes people think they gave up I say maybe that’s as good as that person made them . Just in life there are the best. We will never know . Fun to imagine and very cool grab .

Comment

Working...
                      X