ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID?

found these on a bayside beach in Dennis, Ma. Hoping to get them identified!

Really water worn but 2 nice finds. Hopefully someone can give you a ID on them
    NW Georgia,

Comment

The point on the left intrigues me, as it closely resembles a type in New England that collectors have called "Parallel Stem". They don't have a formal type name, but have long been assumed to be Early Archaic in age. The late Jeff Boudreau, in his New England typology, mentions that a point of this form was found in 1999, in a controlled, excavated context, at Sandy Hill, Ct., Associated dates were reported to range 9300-8500 BP., which would be Early Archaic. I assume that's not an actual side notch near the base on the left side in the photo with the quarter for scale, but rather simple damage. Jeff illustrated 3 samples in his typology guide, and suggested Sandy Hill would be an appropriate type name, but I don't believe the status has changed to this point. Just my opinion as to type, that's just what it most resembles to me. I have found at least one, but they are not common among most area hunters. I'd be very excited to find an intact example, if my ID is correct, of course.

Not sure on the bigger piece, except the material looks like jasper, which was sourced in Pa., and northern RI.
      Rhode Island

Comment

• quincydjs6
        quincydjs6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your comments...very interesting!! The notch on the side there is damage-looks like a little ding out of it!

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        You're welcome. Water worn or not, those are both nice finds, and an intact parallel stem would have me pumping my fists if I found it. Several showed up at the earliest level of a site the old Narragansett Archaeological Society excavated in Kent Co., RI many decades ago. That's a nice one!

Great examples of water worn artifacts ! There was a great deal of controversy on a post last week..Anyway there must be more where those came from. Find and show ...JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Nice finds
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Super nice finds. Keep them safe from chipping. Flinty materials and water worn like already said. Congrats
          New Jersey

Comment

They are nice artifacts!
            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
            X