Broken glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken glass

Found this interesting broke in a field today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190925_170433.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	393888

Name:	20190925_170418.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	393889

Name:	20190925_170307.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	393890

B side is unworked.

Name:	20190925_174005.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	393891
    Hard to photograph the flaking.

It's a uni-face.
    California

That Glass is a fragment of a Common blob top Soda Bottle from the 1870’s-80s often seen Around old Homesteads , Gold Rush, pioneer Ghost towns. Glass was utilized by NA during the Gold rush, as Trade with other tribes ceased as travel became limited. ISHI attested that he utilized discarded pioneer bottles

Comment

Originally posted by Sage hen jack View Post
      That Glass is a fragment of a Common blob top Soda Bottle from the 1870’s-80s often seen Around old Homesteads , Gold Rush, pioneer Ghost towns. Glass was utilized by NA during the Gold rush, as Trade with other tribes ceased as travel became limited. ISHI attested that he utilized discarded pioneer bottles
      That's an emphatic statement, Sage hen jack, and I'm going to take it to the bank.

Bottle glass explains the slight curve on it.

It's only a fragment but still a great artifact.

To be able to date it specifically, and then understand that the date coincides with the virtual death of the these people and their culture, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

California

Comment

Nice...i have a couple that looked utilized
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Mid-late 1800’s Soda Bottles we’re very thick Glass and most were Aqua. They typically were embossed/raised Lettering etc. They’re common, but some are quite rare depending on the Embossed design/Lettering. One of the neat scarce ones is a 1870s ‘ MODOC’ Soda Bottle with the Iconic ‘Captain Jacks Image embossed on it. Funny thing is that Bottle was made in NY. Shows you how much the Modoc’ War made the headlines and marketed. There were even traveling shows that Toured with some of the Modoc Indians and Scouts. Warm Springs Indian Scout- Donald McKay’ was in one.

Comment

• tomf
            tomf commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting you mention Modoc wars and the interest in the 'Indian problem" back in the East.

I just made a post on Stephen Power's book 'Tribes of California', which is partly a compilation of articles he wrote for 'Overland Monthly'.

These articles may have been amongst the very few to represent California's NAs in a somewhat sympathetic light compared to the sensational fare on 'Indian depradations' that filled columns routinely.

Another good source for material on this period is 'Ishi the last Yahi' Kroeber/Heizer.

Utilized glass is so cool bro! Looks worked to me!

Comment

Many articles Tom which I don’t have on hand but like posted they did work glass . Been busy my niece back to reality that’s why I haven’t been around .

Comment

No experience with glass artifacts but if it is worked by man it’s interesting
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Excellent find! I come across utilized glass on a couple of the sites I hunt as well.
                Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Guess I’m going to have to look harder in the field at the glass
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                  X