Sharpening / Grinding Stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpening / Grinding Stone?

Found in Wheeling Creek, West Virginia. Seems like a lot of manmade cuts and grooves. New to this - please advise - thanks!

I'd be hard pressed to say it's natural, but my brain sees no purpose for these marks...I don't know. Carving is not my expertise anyways...It is a cool rock at the very least, and a neat artifact at best. I'll let the other folks, more knowledgeable than me take a peek at it.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I’m not going to say anything except the pattern matches , well known patterns....JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I don't think it's an abrading stone. I don't make evenly spaced X X X X when flintknapping.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I don't have a clue, but it reminds me of the fake runestones that have put Viking explorers every place from Minnesota to Oklahoma.

Comment

Ok I’m confused - I did not fake it but you all are saying someone might have and dumped in creek?

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Who knows I’d keep it

It is sometimes hard to tell from pictures but it looks like those are man made lines to me and,,,...…..I'd keep it

Comment

Looks like a petroglyph rock to me. Those marks were inscribed in the rock by man. The main question is when it was carved. I would figure a long time ago but you should have it looked at by archaeologists or someone that could possibly determine what the markings represent. That’s a cool find!
              SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I agree that the marks are undoubtedly man-made (certainly the X marks anyway) but they don't have the kind of pattern one would expect to find on a sharpening stone, abrading stone or sinew stone. That leaves the possibility that they're intended to have some meaning... which frankly I think is unlikely... or that someone was just doodling on the rock. In either case, you then have the issue of when that was done and by whom. Unless close examination under a 'scope suggests otherwise (mineralisation in the grooves themselves), I would be inclined to think modern doodling, but it's something you may never be able to establish one way or the other.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Awesome! Been on an odyssey with my kids looking for points and this might be the first item that might be an artifact - you guys rock!

Comment

Working...
                X