CT Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Find

I found this one on my first hunt about (40 + -) years ago in SE Connecticut, (I haven't done a lot since) and I haven't been able to ID it; I've seen a few similar points in Overstreet, but they seem to be from disparate periods. It's 2 1/4 inches and made from a heavy, hard stone. Any thoughts?

Not sure on the type, but my best guess on the material would be Rhoylite of some nature. Hoss would know, or CMD.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I think Rhyolite is a good call for the lithic.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Not to sure Hoss, I was thinking felsite. It seems to be more " gritty " in texture and lacks any banding. Of course not all rhyolite is banded. There are some feldspar inclusions, and I think it would be one of the Transitional Phase points, Late Archaic, maybe a Neville, but fits into that category of Appalachians, Morrow Mtns., etc.
        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Rhyolite belongs to the felsic family of Igneous rocks . It is also known to be extrusive and contains other minerals. Extrusive igneous rocks came out of volcanoes and cooled rapidly once meeting the earths surface That rapid cooling can leave phenocrysts not only in felsite but also it can be found in rhyolites. That being said the only true way to know what that rock is it to get it into a lab for study.

Looks rather coarse for rhyolite, maybe argilite? Also either the barbs have been broken or it has had the wings clipped. If I had to guess I'd throw it into the Kirk family, but I would definitely defer to the experts above me!
        Last edited by utilized flake; 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM.
        North Carolina

Comment

It definitely has that rhyolite look to it, although we freely interchange rhyolite and felsite up here in the northeast.

For type, it’s a tough call - certainly no expert here - it looks Atlantic but the barbs have me scratching my head. I’ve seen a few Neville’s that had some barbs, maybe it’s a Neville? Or as UF suggested above, maybe it is part of the rare-in-the-NE Kirk family? Nice find, whatever it is

Comment

Working...
          X