Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow friday artifact.

Found this in a ditch.

Though about it for a while, then decided it's either a drill or a fire-starter.

I think this due to the flute that might help to rotate the piece and the step-cut tip - a feature I have seen on more conventional drill types, locally.

What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_160627.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	396839

Name:	20191011_160619.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	396840

Check out the way the distill end is made.

I've seen this before.

Name:	20191011_160605.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	396841
    Obsidian. Napa , Ca.

California

Looks like a preform which is a nice study piece showing how the flute process was done there are many theories as to when the flute was added during the making of them. Looks like to me the flute was added before the point was finished so that in itself is very interesting. Cool find for sure
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Also by the tip damage which looks like a impact fracture it could of been finished then used as a tool

• tomf
      tomf commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess it could be an impact fracture.

Wouldn't be the first time I've confused one for a feature of design.

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      If it is a impact then at one time it should of been used and finished

Nothing fractures choncoidally quite like obsidian!
    North Carolina

Comment

I have to say Tomf...your artifacts always confuse me. I don't know a lot about western points, I don't see obsidian stuff near me, so your posts seem to be in a knowledge dead zone as far as my wheelhouse. Alot look like spikes, but too large for that typical type, some look sand blasted while others look pristine, parts well worked while one side not so much. I can't figure them out most of the time. This piece again I would call a spike, thick and no real finish work but then it has a big, seemingly deliberate flute, with no real base or hafting area. Confusing again. I like stuff that makes me do more research, but still, head scratchers for me.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• tomf
        tomf commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know what to make of most of what I find.

I try to put in context of what I've learned about local history and what the artifacts themselves suggest, but in the end, I'm guessing most of the time.

Still. it's fun to speculate.

Basically, I see the artifacts as the work of a single people at different points in their history, that might span 10,000 years or more.

Question for me, is not so much who , as when?

Looks preform to me also. But it’s interesting that so much of your finds from that Creek area have the same interesting resemblance. It had to have been the product of a single individual NA Knapper that resided in that village site area. I think that’s really cool that your documenting/saving something of historical significance from your area.

Comment

• tomf
        tomf commented
        Editing a comment
        Some of the things I find have a lot of similarities and it's tempting to think they might be the work of single hand.

Other stuff is way different.

I reckon this creek was occupied for thousands of years and the artifacts represent a broad spread across that time.

However, at some time there was obviously a thriving lithic industry which is demonstrated by the heavy lithic scatter in some vineyards and it's likely this is the period that produced the majority of my finds.

Documenting is not quite as fun as finding but just as important to me.

I feel a responsibility to collect all the data I can, particularly maintaining assemblages from specific sites. so these beautiful things can retain association with their history.

Black and orange, Halloween colors and colors of Beatup’s last artwork, so maybe called “Tri-flow” obsidian? Is “distill” same as distal? Not trying to be smartybutt (as usual), but just now understanding shoulders, waists, and other body parts of arrowheads.....

I like it, whatever it is, and can easily see mans-work on it......
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• tomf
        tomf commented
        Editing a comment
        My bad spelling, Cecelia. I was talking about the tip - and probably should not use fancy words till I can spell them.

Maybe I was thirsty when I wrote that..
    Working...
    X