Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Levallois Style Flaked rounded Stone Core???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levallois Style Flaked rounded Stone Core???

I found this piece on the Mississippi River in the St Louis area.. At first I thought scraper but I researched online and am guessing it's a core. I would appreciate input. Thanks so much!

I think your assessment is correct, nice find !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• MoGarde
      MoGarde commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

I would say perhaps an almost exhausted core or a rough-out moving towards something such as a discoid knife/scraper. Looks more like the flakes were removed with the intention of thinning it rather than with the intention of gaining flakes of useful size and shape.

I know you're using the term loosely, but I don't see anything particularly 'Levallois' about the apparent technique. Levallois cores almost always have a kind of domed tortoise-shell shape and that geometry/symmetry is generally deliberately preserved as further flakes are taken off them to maximise the opportunity for further useable flakes. Here's a typical Mousterian (Neanderthal) Levallois core from France:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mousterian Levallois Core.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.9 KB ID:	396885
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• MoGarde
      MoGarde commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for the information. That's fantastic! I'm still learning and I really appreciate it

It’s big enough to be a chopper like a hand held ax to break bones open. Sure is nice material on that tool
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• MoGarde
      MoGarde commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I love the color. It really stood out in the water. I was excited to find it!
Working...
X