West central MO point ID assistance please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West central MO point ID assistance please

I found this earlier today while bow hunting a new spot. It was a surface find as the in situation pic indicates, and was found in west central MO on the edge of where the Ozarks start. I'm having a problem with identification as it resembles several different types to me. One possible indicator or clue is that it appears to be reworked/sharpened having beveling on alternate edges. I'm sorry that the quality of photos don't really show this. Thank you in advance for your appreciated assistance.

I'm thinking either apple creek or kings corner notch. Does the material look heat treated and is there any grinding on the base or stem?
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      I was leaning in the Kings direction. It has a circular depression on one side that I've heard some people say is due to heat treating...also heard them called freeze pops too. It seems to have slight grinding on the stem on one side, but minimal on the side of the stem with the slight stack. The base almost appears to have a very small notch or could have happened unintentionally during the manufacturing process as there looks like a small reduction flake connected to the notch on the side that seems to be ground. Thank you very much for the assistance.

I don’t care what type or lithic material, it’s a nice score ! The situ pic fires me up with all the surrounding materials, I’d hunt that area hard.....!
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

That is sweet with the needle tip....congrats man
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice frame point to far away for me to give a type
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Hi armyman5k. It is indeed a dandy point you found. I'm not familiar with the points that are somewhat endemic to your area such as the Apple Creek and King that you think it may be,. HST, I did a bit of looking at those types at projectilepoints.net and in Overstreet and can easily understand why one might be confused. Dang it, some points are really hard to ID. One thing I did note(or at least I think I did) is those two types are elliptical in cross section. And often it is the x-sectional shape that distinguishes one type from another. You showed us a pretty good view of what it looks like from the side. I still can not be sure that it is flattened or ellipitical. Also, I can't tell how much grinding is present on the base. If it is ground on the base and if it flat in x-section then there could be other possibilities. Whatever the type I think it was used as a dart point. I'm just trying to think this problem through It's always best to have it in hand. But it is a dandy point for sure.Also something to consider is what other artifacts have you found on the site that would incline one to think that it is mid Archaic or something earlier. HST, I'm assuming that you may have discounted the idea that it is a corner notch of the Kirk variety which are flat. Good luck in your quest and good hunting in the future.

Comment

Working...
          X