Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible unfinished Pendant, or small Celt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible unfinished Pendant, or small Celt?

*** Found in Martin's Creek PA, along the Delaware River.*****
    It could just be a cool natural stone. But when I found it I noticed the big flake missing from the top... from the right and left sides ..it looked like its ground down on both sides to get that shape.. and over all just looks worked. Any help and knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!!!
    Last edited by Shydaman; 10-15-2019, 11:53 AM.
    North East Pennsylvania / North West New Jersey

So, its nothing?!? That's my first guess lol... but it's still a little wierd for nature...

Comment

It’s our knowledge coupled with our imagination that keeps us looking. Who really knows? Keep it, regardless....
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t know you, but I love your attitude.😁

I like that answer !!!!

Comment

It’s nothing?
        I wouldn’t say that. The shape is good, and that side does look ground. Being a creek find, it wouldn’t be as easily identified. had it not spent the last 1,000 years washing around with a bunch of other rocks and sand, it might be real shiny and sharp.
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          And I don’t know you (yes, I do, a little), but I love your attitude, too. If not for encouragement, I would not have the few artifacts I do have!

That's true!!!! Possibly a totally smoothed out end scraper or something.. I love the exchange of ideas on here.

Comment

I will try not to rain on the parade but I think it’s just a worn rock. I don’t see anything that says artifact on it to me. But pictures are very hard to see water worn artifacts sometimes. I posted one not long ago and most said natural rock and I took it to the last show and all the collectors said preform. Nobody’s fault on the site cause you couldn’t really see the work on it until in hand viewing. So if you like it keep it. Mine wasn’t pretty at all
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is why we discuss here. I like the civil discussion and exchange of views. I have learned a lot from you all trying to see things through someone’s eyes other than mine, and it’s not easy. Also, pictures.
            As you said, it’s hard to tell not holding it in hand...

I'm not too hopeful but you never know I guess... the thing I find the weirdest it's the flat chip out of the top... but either way it'll make a great stand for an even better artifact!! Lol

Comment

I see a used up Mano ..
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes or used up plant planer.... right...? Lol

A rock, a very pretty not unusual rock.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Gregsbala, I need to send you a pretty rock or two. No offense Shy, but that is not a pretty rock.... But that’s irrelevant to keeping it....

The stone looks to be sedimentary . A poor lithic for use as a celt or a scraper. . being a sedimentary rock it probably had weak planes within its matrix which caused it to cleave causing those flattened areas.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It became a stand for a fossil! 👍

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                You know, I have rocks that prop up some of my fossils, too.

Martins Creek you say? Your definitely in a good area I spend a lot of time within a stones throw of you but on the Jersey side of the river
              Warren County New Jersey

Comment

I saw a guy poking around on the shore... on the jersey side like 2 weeks ago ... you possibly ?? lol .. I'm between matins creek.. and the power plant

Comment

• HBird
                  HBird commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If it was upstream from the railroad bridge it very well could have been me. 🤷🏻‍♂️ You never know though there’s quite a few people that look around through that area.

We should link up... double threat! Lol

Comment

• HBird
                  HBird commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I might be interested in spending some time kicking around some rocks on the river with ya. Do you have any fields you can hunt on your side of the river?
              Working...
              X