Identifying my first finds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying my first finds...

I’m brand new to arrowhead and artifact hunting. I found the following items in Burke County, GA near a small creek. Could the larger one be a blade and the smaller one a broken point?

Just a flake and a broken point in my honest opinion. Congrats good luck in the hunt.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I agree with Hoss but at least you have found some evidence of production. Keep looking in that area maybe a whole one will pop up for you
      NW Georgia,

Comment

For more info let's see that butterscotchy piece in some closeups.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          That caught my eye too..

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Me, too, looks like broken point maybe. All that quartz-y content obscures evidence of knapping ......

Welcome and keep hunting.
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks for the input! Here are some better close ups.

Comment

Like finding pieces with the cortex still on it . The tip of that looks like it has some flaking ? Does it ?
            If so it could be some type of utilized flake tool .
            others will chime in .
            The wide end

Comment

Welcome neighbor newbie! Burke County’s got a repository of chert, a lithic on which it’s so much easier to see knapping . (I know this coz adjacent Columbia Co got nothing but quartz and quartzite!). I am also new to this, and I got a feeling that your finds from Burke Co creeks gonna quickly outnumber mine!
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Welcome to the forum. That’s some pretty lithic you found. Looking forward to hearing about your future finds.
                Child of the tides

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I just found two more today, but close to Reidsville, GA. One has a broken tip. I’m real excited about the full point! Any thoughts on what it is technically?

Comment

• willjo
                    willjo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The second photo looks like a sharpened down Savannah River Point

Now you’re talking! Nice
                  South Dakota

Comment

Nice 1st whole point that one missing the tip would of been interesting to see whole nice material on it
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                    X