Age of a few pieces I have found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of a few pieces I have found

I was hoping there would be someone here who could help me to determine the age/period of a few pieces that I have found.

This is only my second year of looking for artifacts, and I'm hooked!

I only wish I had been interested in this as a kid when I was growing up in the 70's out in the river bottom back when there were points laying around everywhere after we plowed the black dirt.

Nowadays the "No Till" farming methods so many use today hurts a guy in finding nearly as many as were available back then so long ago.

I remember seeing them...and didn't bother picking them up when I would be out on the tractor or hunting/fishing.

I was always interested in rocks and fossils...but didn't have time of day for a point.

My my how times have changed...lol.

I have discovered that this affliction truly is a sickness...lol

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that he can learn in no other way!

Pics 2&3 are nice darts.
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

What state
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice points, finally! I was beginning to get, no I was getting, concerned lol.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Ha ha...i'm new at collecting. But I do remember where I used to see them from back when I was a kid growing up in the river bottom.

I had no interest in collecting any points.

God I wish I had been.

Back in the 1970's I remember seeing points laying on the ground On the regular while out hunting or fishing.

But that was also when the soil was broken deep with the plow instead of the no till farming practices of today.

That hurts a great deal of the good old spots I knew of back in the glory days when the world was still right.
          A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that he can learn in no other way!

Comment

Nice adenas, age would be Late Archaic to Early Woodland 3,000 to 1,300 BP Great finds. Tools are probably from the same culture. Hopewell

Last edited by oldrocks2; 10-17-2019, 01:20 AM.
            SE IA

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate your time sir. Have a great day.

Comment

Thank you Lindenmeier. I found those in Wilson Couhty, Kansas near the confluence of the Fall and Verdigris rivers. They were mixed in with what seemed like millions of chunks, flakes, and chips of Chert rock and flint. So so much garbage...so few rewards. I found those two in a drainage ditch that ran between two oil fields. I crawled through a 1/4 mile ocean of chert/flint on my hands and knees through that dried up ditch before I finally captured them. Long day...but it was worth it.

Those were the first 2 full points I managed to run down after a solid year of my first year of searching for artifacts.

And I got them within 30 seconds of one another.

I looked in that area of the ditch for 4 hours after I scooped those two up.

No further finds that day.

I continued searching until I ran out of daylight.

Then kept on looking with a flashlight for a couple more hours.

Did the same the following day...and got identical results.

Notta dam thing.

Nor have I made any more finds on any other day either in That whole entire ditch since then.

Sure hasn't been for lack of effort either...🙄🙄

What a feeling it was to find that first point.

Then to find #2 almost immediately.

I had hopes for that day at that moment in time...lol

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                  Lindenmeier-Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will go the extra mile,I’m to old to hunt with ya....!

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You probably hit a small spot of a site where you found the points or could of washed down from top of a hill. Work your way to the beginning of the washout and see if there is anything

I don't know about that...lol. I'm sure no spring chicken myself...lol.

I will be turning 51 this coming April...🙄🙄

It's easy for me to bend over or to get down to ground level.

It's that getting up part that's progressively becoming rougher and rougher...😂😂

Comment

Probably waubesa points nice finds.m
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thank you sir! Here's to many more!!

Comment

Surface Hunter...i have done all that several times since that day. I went east/west and north/South as far as I could go in every direction. Lots of flint/chart strewn about everywhere. Haven't hit on anything there. And trust me...i was looking! Hard!

Comment

I think you will discover that your best finds often come along when you’re just zoning & not looking so hard. A few folks on the forum will tell you they get a “feeling” when they’re about to make a find. Relax & it will happen again.
                        Child of the tides

Comment

Ha ha Haven...I'm an Aries. I can't relax. Always uptight about something. If not then it's the other...😂😂

Comment

Working...
                          X