First find scouting a new hunting area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First find scouting a new hunting area

Found in Lonoke Co. AR, near a bend in a bayou after farmer leveled field by approximately 18 inches. What do I have here? Picked up 100’s of shards, not sure if that’s correct terminology?

Comment

Definitely have some artifacts there, looks like it's going to be a productive site, congrats and welcome.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thank you, I stumbled on this ground yesterday looking at a deer hunting site. I don’t really know anything about the artifacts, estimated age & material, etc. I was hoping to get some feed back as I am new to this.

Comment

Man, those dirt pans are hell on points. That knife you have is a nice piece, and looks like you have a wide variety of material. Hard to date any of it with those pics and I don’t see any bases.

if it’s one of the old bends in the Arkansas River there, those could be anywhere from 300 to 10,000 years old, depending on which side of the bend it was found on. 18” of dirt being moved will get you pretty deep into history in that area, depending on where in that dirt column it come from. I had a buddy who drove a dump truck one summer when they were doing the expansion of 440 north of 40 out towards Trash Mountain...had to be 20 years ago now? Anyway, he said he would get out and wait on them to fill the truck and walk around looking, and he found piles of points. Probably 200 or so over a summer, and all just north of that old oxbow that 440 crosses about 2 miles north of the interstate there. I imagine you know where I’m talking about? That ain’t no piece from Loneoak county.

*the last pic looks like a Kirk stemmed point to me...which puts it at Archaic times. I may be wrong, because my eyes are tired and also, I’m just wrong a lot.

welcome, from Pulaski county, neighbor.
          😁
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Thank you for response, I can definitely tell the disc damaged the material a lot, I’m going to try & get back out there after this rain if I don’t get fired from work, lol. It appears I’m now oppressed, per my wife! I can tell this larger piece was being used & I found an extremely smooth river rock, right in the middle of the others that I found, but just seems so smooth & fits in the hand perfect.

Comment

Comment

Big flake of material the red one the brown one does it show any drilled sections on the fat end or is it solid. Looks like a nice spot you found
                NW Georgia,

Comment

No hole unfortunately

Comment

Working...
                  X