No clue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No clue

I found this one in a creek in southwest Missouri. With the rust color, I thought metal pipe that over time rusted enough to envelop rocks? But there's no sign of the typical rusted metal pipe, etc. I started the cleaning process on it hence the reason why its wet in one of the pictures.

That's interesting, maybe Iron Ore or some kind of Concretion. Roger would know.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhhh Josh your back

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Tam

In the second pic, it looks like it might have row of equal segments, maybe a rusted, mineralized chain? Interesting piece.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I saw also

That’s a good thought a chain

Comment

I would bet that’s a piece of vintage iron or steel junk that’s been concreted in siderite. The angular ‘crystal’ pattern is quite characteristic, but siderite can readily convert to limonite and goethite without alteration of the crystal form.

You’d be amazed at how quickly these can form if the conditions are right and there may or may not be anything left of the original source object that provided the iron. Marshy ground is really good for this and salty tidal marshland even better.

There’s an area not far from me where you can find them by the dozen and a good deal of them are chunks of steel shrapnel, mortar shells and such from WWII military ordnance testing. I leave them alone because you can never be sure you aren’t picking up something that could still be live.

There’s also the infamous ‘Coso artefact’ found in California in 1961 that was claimed to be a half-million year old ‘fossilised’ piece of alien technology… and ultimately turned out to be a 1920s Champion spark-plug concreted in siderite that had subsequently converted to iron oxides.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

That's kinda funny. I've got an ancient aliens coffee mug that says "im not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens" HAHA. Whatever it is, it's kinda cool.

Comment

Very kewl...
          San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

Working...
          X