My pieces I'm sending to be authenticated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pieces I'm sending to be authenticated

Thanks for the advice on a good Authenticator. What do you guys think should I send all of these for authentication or maybe something else

First, did you find your wonderful artifacts yourself ? If so, then there is really no need to spend the money on authentication because if they are authentic now , they will be in the future. The methods have advanced leaps and bounds from when I was a young collector. The true reason to have the authentication done is if your thinking of selling your artifacts..Other than that, we have very, very educated people in here that will help you with type and age....JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I wouldn’t spend the extra money to get them done unless you think it will make them worth more. Although they are nice I don’t think it would help them much. Trying to put it in a nice way.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Only if it makes you as the collector feel better . If you found them like Lman said they are authentic but I understand like art some people want that piece of paper to go in the case or add to your story .

Comment

Only spend the money if:
          you plan to sell them now or in the future
          you have heirs in mind who may wish to sell
          they were gifts you wish to authenticate

If you found them personally, you already know they are authentic. Since none appear to be 10+, I’m curious as to why you wish to spend the money?
          Child of the tides

Comment

So I gotta ask you Kaleb because some of those do not look Western to me. The three in the first photo look more like Western New York to me. They appear to be Onandaga Chert. Did you find these or where they passed down or gifted to you? I dont see any red flags Kaleb they all look like solid ancient points and knives. Give us a little back ground on them or how you came to have them please.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Kaleb
              Kaleb commented
              Editing a comment
              I found all of them here in Salina (central) Utah myself within 25 miles of my house. With the exception of the small agate one I found that on a private ranch that borders capitol reef national park. I had a massive post I just erased because it was just to much. Basically most of them are strange for this area and I haven't been able to id them after years of trying and would like to put a name and date to them. The others I really just want a date for the site they came from even though I already know the type and dates I would like a "recognized" source to provide the date. Mostly because I have been documenting everything about the sites and the finds. Hopefully when I die a museum would be happy to take them and be able to use the info for research rather than just have a bunch of undocumented finds.

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Museums will just put them in a box in the basement and there they will remain

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Kaleb as stated the go to for your area is Ben Stermer. His paper is good as gold. I never heard anyone ever say an unkind word about his papers.

Yeah I know that sounds good for now though. I don't know what I really want all I know is I don't want it all to be for nothing. There's a lot of hours and rough hikes that get put into these pointy rocks.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              The best part of this is the time spent looking and finding that’s priceless. My family wouldn’t want mine either but after I’m gone it’s up to them as to what they do with it

Lots of good advice from good folks Kaleb. My only experience with papering. About 17 years ago. I thought it’d be cool to have paper on one of my Artifacts, So I sent a magnificent paleo point my Dad found many years ago to get papered. I was with him out in no mans land/High Desert Heaven’-the day he found it in 1969’. Got it back with letter not Authentic. Now I gotta second what Hoss pointed out-some of those Artifacts don’t look like Utah Points/lithic material and all. But regardless. Know this my friend—it’s never all for nothing! If you spent hours finding em. Then that’s 99% of it all. Unless all your into is Spending hours finding them-and selling em. In reality Paper don’t mean much compared to -standing there under the sky holding in hand an artifact that you found. Or your Dad found. Or a close friend found. Or an artifact a friend gives ya! It’s the memories/ The inner connection to it all. For what it’s worth-that’s my View of it. You are -your best Authenticator— buy a high quality $50 10x jewelers loupe. And study,Learn and enjoy
            Last edited by Sage hen jack; 10-31-2019, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Kaleb
              Kaleb commented
              Editing a comment
              Best advice so far I guess I forgot that just going out and being in the hills alone is my meditation. Nothing can compare to the excitement when you see a whole one just waiting for you to pick it up. Thanks for the good advice/reminder

Nice finds. Excellent advice.
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Great finds.one thing I've learned here in utah is you can find all styles and types. I know you'll find the best advice and opinions on here
              Utah

Comment

• Kaleb
                Kaleb commented
                Editing a comment
                Very true utah seems to be a mess in the way of typology or at least lacking some information

Sound substance, all who responded!
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I think.my opion...for a small area there were many different recognized tribes in utah I've found points that supposedly were localized to oregon coast.
                Utah

Comment

Working...
                X