8 5/8" dovetail Clovis point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 5/8" dovetail Clovis point

This is how I bought it from an antique store in SW Ohio last week.

Real Indian arrowheads from India
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      WillJo, even your harshest nay-saying still nice!

What did I find? What did I buy? Not a clovis...not a dovetail !!! Hope you didn't spend much...love the inclusion crystal though
    North Carolina

Comment

$65...so the crystal identifies it as a fake?

Comment

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        True artifacts also have the crystal inclusions, not just fakes.

What about the smaller arrowheads? Fake too?

Comment

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        All made by same people, you can buy them off e bay all day long, if you look at those points on e bay you will see all them are made identical with those crushed in notches in the dove tail fashion
        Last edited by willjo; 10-31-2019, 04:23 PM.

Welcome to the forum.

There is absolutely no patination on those pieces. Clean as a whistle and with obvious fresh crushing which indicates these have been machine made on a jig. As said these are made in Asia from Indian agate and other similar stones. They all have that pseudo dovetail base and in any case it's a loooong way from any Clovis form. So sorry. We don't normally talk values here on the forum, but I hate to see people ripped off. Is there any chance you can get your money back... unless you're happy with the price you paid for modern decorative items? Even then unfortunately you've overpaid. You can pick up 8-9 inch spearheads for about $15-20 on eBay and the smaller arrowheads for a dollar or so. Cheaper if buying in bulk.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        I love words; “patination” just rolls off tongue....

Sorry but that is modern. yes the small ones are too. All made in India. Get you money back .
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Fresh hinge fractures are the 1st red flag. Carry a 10x Loupe. I use one to examine Antique photos,Points and All antiques. I’m an old guy. My eyes need all help they can get

Comment

Ouch! Go back to that antique store and get your money back.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I guess the price has risen. I purchased 100 of these "India" points for five cents each.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Whatever for? ( ......that’s rhetorical; just haven’t bugged you in a while...!.)

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              It's easier to learn with the fakes in hand.

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              😉...knew you had reason!

It’s a shame that even antique stores are flooded with fakes to. Sometimes they will have a real one with fakes mixed in but in your frame they all look fake. Even the seller might not have known possibly so get your money back but be nice about it just in case.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

This novice (who now has pretty good eye, relatively) asks analogy Q when thinking maybe fake: does it/they look like pretty superhero in graphic novel?

However, if find my way too irrelevant, silly, esoteric, etc, these guys will spell out very specific, hard, cold, factual reasons, all based on experience and extensive technical knowledge, why not artifactual.
              Last edited by Cecilia; 11-01-2019, 08:44 AM.
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• willjo
                willjo commented
                Editing a comment
                Those pieces are nice in their place but in an ancient artifact collection it is like a person wearing a pendant with a twenty dollar gold piece in it as opposed to wearing a pendant with a aluminum coin in it from play money.
            Working...
            X