Bone tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone tool?

Found in R.I. is this a bone awl? Always wanted to find a north east bone artifact
    Attached Files

Any pics of the other side? I have to say, it looks promising even though I know nothing about bone tools

Comment

Other side

Comment

Nice, what are your plans for preserving it? If it came from a wet location it might crack on you if your don't use something. (Duco & acetone, buvtar, etc.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Clovisoid
          It did come from the salt water..I'm glad you brought
          that up I had no idea it could crack..can you tell me how to do it?

Comment

Paging TomClark
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Nice find Eman!
              Here's Tom's post on conserving bone.
              https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...shell-bone-etc
              Last edited by Olden; 11-11-2019, 07:58 AM.
              If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Tom reached out and shared the gomers solution once it dries out..thanks guys!

Comment

Nice bone awl you have discovered. I use the duco formula on all of my bone artifacts. If the bone was washed in from the sea, you might consider soaking it in some fresh water first, before you dry it for Gomering.........cool artifact find.
                  Last edited by sarahsue; 11-12-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Another lesson!

Super find. Bone just don't survive in my area and I know it was used often.
                  SE IA

Comment

It was in salt water Sarah..sounds like a good idea..how long would you soak it in the fresh water for?

Comment

• sarahsue
                      sarahsue commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would say a couple of days, and change the water once a day, in my opinion just to get salt off the surface. Of course the Gomer mix is acetone which would probably do a number on salt anyhow. I would assume that bone eroded from a midden along the coast, and has most likely not been in the water for any length of time, due to the great condition.

Thanks Oldrocks! I was pretty shocked too..I'm in an area that's acidic too and never expected to find a bone artifact!
                    Last edited by Emaner377; 11-11-2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• oldrocks2
                      oldrocks2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Probably the salt water ? Pickeled it ,lol

Awesome, Awesome, AWESOME!

It's been a long while I've seen anybody pull out a bone artifact since I joined. Great find! You should enter it in next months contest.
                    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

KP thank you! I didnt know you could? I thought it was just for points? How do I do it?

Comment

In the contests link at the beginning of the topics click October find of the month. When you get that open click -post reply- enter a short discription . click the camera and post 2 photos then copy and paste the post below. Then enter. If you have a problem I am sure Kentuckey point will help you. Good luck, rare find. Contest is all for fun and nice to see the finds.

SE IA

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                          SurfaceHunter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’m trying to learn how to do this also
                      Working...
                      X