Any thoughts on type from utah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on type from utah?

Found in central utah I found it a four years ago and still haven't been able to come up with anything that ends up fitting after reading more... I know it's small but it's not a "birdpoint". The possible flute on the one side is what really gets me. The flaking seemed to be oblique to begin with before much resharpening and the blade has extremely fine micro flaking.

You can't see the edge work in these pictures i tried to get it but couldn't

Comment

Maybe a outside pic or better background
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Points made out of that material is neat and one like that is awesome, looks paleo
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

My translucent “dalton” I found that won find of the month reminds me of this point. And later surface hunter pmd me and we corrected the typing since I believe it to not be a dalton.. but the same type as the one you have there. I’m not positive by any means tho as I’m not that great at typology.

Johnson county Missouri

Comment

Well tomorrow I'll post some better pics in the sunlight and maybe someone can get a better idea

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Black or red background will really help

One side reads Midland... Which is a known paleo type
            North Carolina

Comment

Yeah that's what i decided on but I'm still not sure

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                Lindenmeier-Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Need better pics, are the edges ground on the base ?

Definitely been reworked...….need better overall pictures but from what I can see I'm not seeing Paleo.

Comment

Comment

Hey kaleb not from your area....really cant successfully id your point....heck i cant even successfully id points in my area.. lol....ill give it a shot....plains triangular? Flute on one side couldve been result of impact? Either way....nice find
                  Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

That's a sweet point ...nice
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

Not sure but I think that "flute" might be a thinning flake we knappers use in the hafting area.

Comment

• Dannygroves74
                        Dannygroves74 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        99% of the time an error yes. However, I have seen multiple flutes on points that appeared to have odd angles to get rid others knapping mistakes. A nipple is a striking platform that is isolated on purpose as to control the flake. Even if the platform is perfect if the strike is at an off angle the flute can run at an odd angle. A flake or flute is actually a "shockwave". I recommend if you want to learn about knapping a bit look up freezecracked or the allergic hobbit (jack crafty) on YouTube. I personally know freezecracked and he is an extremely smart knapper who explains everything. I truly believe knapper look at artifacts differently and we can give better insight on what the ancient artist was doing, did how something was made.

• Cecilia
                        Cecilia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Knew zero until Sept, when read deep, deep, stuff in International Journal of Fracture (!) and a doctoral from Dublin University on quartz. I only have quartz, quartzite, I don’t have any flint and had never even held it until WillJo sent me knapped chert. I tried once, Paleo style, and almost put my Dog’s eye out. I just ask lotsa Qs....

• Dannygroves74
                        Dannygroves74 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's how we learn, by asking questions.

Nice little point
                      South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                      X