Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could somebody help me identify this site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could somebody help me identify this site?

These were all found within 100 feet of each other near the Arkansas-Missouri border, North Central Arkansas. They were near a stream and surrounded by a lot of flakes.

The first one was found in two pieces and I clumsily super glued them together which was a mistake because the glue dripped on the outside a bit. I am thinking Hopewell, Steuben, or Burkett.

Second one, I am thinking Big Creek, Hopewell, or Burkett.

Third one, I really don’t know. Could it be a broken Copena triangular or the stem from something else? It's thin at the sharpened edge/base, and pretty thick where it narrows.

The fourth one is just a fragment but contains the best ground base I have ever found, very smooth, and also extremely thin. I am guessing Big Sandy Leighton base?

Sorry these aren’t beautiful pictures of complete points but they get me really excited and I would love to know if the site is from a single time period, or if these are different cultures.
    Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-22-2021, 09:22 AM.
    Central Indiana

Right on mike! Great pictures! First two look middle to late archaic stemmed points then a broken paddle drill, and the last one looks like it was a nice big sandy before the plow hit it! Early archaic period! More where those came from!!
    North Carolina

Comment

Nice group of artifacts ...nice finds
      SW Connecticut

Comment

The fourth one looks to have a pot lid or fire pop on it. That leads me to think campsite . Nice finds !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

UtilizedFlake - Broken paddle drill - cool! That would explain why it’s thick in the middle.

Lindenmier-Man, thanks for pointing out what that pit is. Would there be any reason for it intentionally being in the fire, such as heat treatment, perhaps buried in some animal that was being cooked, or just a coincidence if it was a campsite where somebody built a fire ring on top of where an artifact was sitting?

Any thoughts on if my type guesses for the first two points were accurate? Maybe there’s just not enough there to determine.

Central Indiana

Comment

Working...
          X