Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious

Found in the rack line in the Gulf of Mexico. I have never found this tone in pottery in the area. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts, pendant? Not sure what to think. Thanks in advance.

When you say tone are you talking about color? Nice find but I don't know what it is exactly
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Shelled
      Shelled commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes color, most of what I’ve seen in this area has been dark gray. Maybe a traded item from a bit north ... Georgia perhaps.

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I call it Mississippian red from that period most times around 500-1000 years old

Looks like one of the ears has broke off, nice piece. I would think it is a pendant or some type of decoration.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Thats a pretty interesting piece shelled.....found on gulf......what state?
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

I have not seen one like that before. Always like something new for me to look into. Nice piece.
        Central Ohio

Comment

I like it even though I don't know what it is!
          North Carolina

Comment

it’s a Hag Stone (minimally, coz may be something else besides myth, too)!. Can see the fairy world thru it! LinnyMan taught me that....
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Shelled
              Shelled commented
              Editing a comment
              Hag Stone because of the drilled hole, correct?

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Hag Stone (has lotsa different names, coz lotsa versions myth Druid, Norse, Germanic, etc) has naturally occurring hole, and if found by sea, caused by moving water so retains the power and magic of the ocean!

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              “Pendant with a little damage” so much cooler find than hagstone! Much rather have that, maybe wear it and have people ask me what it is! (Who needs to see a buncha silly fairies flitting around, anyway?)

It’s a pendant with a little damage... Outstanding and congrats....JJ
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Pretty darn nice find there . Wonder what era .
              like SH said Mississippian is a red glaze but that looks to be stained .
              Those hurricanes / storms and tides bring up some great artifacts there .

Comment

Pretty darn nice find there . Wonder what era .
                like SH said Mississippian is a red glaze but that looks to be stained .
                those hurricanes / storms and tides bring up some great artifacts there .

Comment

Working...
                X